Socket 478 good overclocking motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_need_answers

Hey guys,
I was looking for a motherboard with pc3200 ram capability and a socket 478 for a p4 celeron. I was looking on newegg and saw a ton of great value boards but i need something with an AGP/PCI lock and other features so I can overclock the processor. Can anyone help me out finding a good overclocking board?
Thanks,
Jonathan
Oh yeah, I need 533Mhz or better fsb.... Thanks

The things you need are agp/pci lock, adjustable fsb, and adjustable memory dividers. The best way to find if a board has these is to find a board that you like(one that's a good candidate), then dl the manual and look at the bios section. If it has the settings, it should work. I was in a similar situation, but more limited, as I needed a matx(as opposed to atx) board that could oc, which is much harder to find. I settled on a gigabyte 8IG1000MK, it only lacks vcore adjustment, which limits how far I can go a little bit, but still, my 1.8p4 was at 2.5ghz stable, a good oc for stock voltage.

Ok,
Thanks for your help.
I haven't read enough on overclocking memory so i think ill leave that alone for right now. I have one more question. If i get a mobo without a agp/pci lock and dont put any agp/pci cards it will it matter if I overclock or will it still like fry the agp/pci connectors. Thanks

ASUS P4P800E-Deluxe. It has all the OC features for socket 478 including memory timings, memory speed, memory voltage, CPU voltage, CPU speed (FSB), PCI/AGP lock... etc.etc. It is also a very stable board. I know from experience as I had one for over 7 months. However the reason i replaced it so early was because Socket 478 was old and I didn't want to waste my money on a new CPU for an old socket.

i_need_answers said:
Hey guys,
I was looking for a motherboard with pc3200 ram capability and a socket 478 for a p4 celeron. I was looking on newegg and saw a ton of great value boards but i need something with an AGP/PCI lock and other features so I can overclock the processor. Can anyone help me out finding a good overclocking board?
Thanks,
Jonathan
Oh yeah, I need 533Mhz or better fsb.... Thanks

Which Celeron or Pentium IV do you have (Ex. Celeron D, P4 HT)?

My socket 478 has a multiplier of 22!!! That is like super extreme overclocking lol. I have a Celeron D 335

Good luck!
I've spent a LOT of time trying to find any left-over/decent Socket 478 motherboards and they have gone the way of the do-do bird! :(

My best recommendations for your venture would be:
Asus: P4P800SE, P4P800E-Deluxe, P4C800 Series (any)
Abit: IC7 Series, AI7, IS7

Unfortunately, nobody seems to have these any more as they are discontinued. If you can find one, snatch it up!

Also, Asrock (bargain Asus line) has one Socket 478 that looks pretty decent, but I am teetering on buying to see if it also stacks up. The P4i65G.. which is still in production, but I've been leaning away from as it's MicroATX and only 2 DDR slots.

F1N3ST said:
My socket 478 has a multiplier of 22!!! That is like super extreme overclocking lol. I have a Celeron D 335

Lol, I have a Celeron D 330 with a multiplier of 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back