TechSpot

Socket A upgrade

By kwspony
Mar 22, 2007
  1. I have an old Gateway Select 1000 PC with an AMD Athloon 1GHz socket A chip in it. I want to upgrade the chip to something better. Will any socket A AMD chip work? I think it is a 452 pin chip. The mobo is an MSI board but I can't find it on the MSI site. What do I need to look at in finding a compatible chip?

1 person likes this.
  2. Tlkki

Tlkki TS Rookie

Hard time there mate, AFAIK Socket A is no longer manufactured. Time to move on :)

3. kwspony

kwspony TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 121

I know they aren't being made any more but I know I can get one off ebay that is faster then what I have now.

4. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 596

Yes, it is socket 462, I suggest you go on a trading forum like forums.anandtech.com and look in the for sale section for an Athlon XP.

5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

the fastest CPU that mobo will take is an athlon 1.4 ghz
    I used to own that computer.
    That model has long been discontinued.

6. kwspony

Why do you say that Tedster? What's the deciding factor with that PC?

7. DragonMaster

DragonMaster TS Rookie Posts: 327

That computer works with SDRAM. If you want a new mobo, you will need new RAM. You'd better go with a newer machine, or do some CPU and RAM upgrades.

8. Tedster

the chipset. It will take only Athlon processors, not Athlon XP processors.

The die on these processors is quite heavy. You can buy them cheaply off of e-bay. I sold my last one when I parted out my system.
    Interesting enough, some of them can be overclocked quite fast- the bios on the gateway motherboard, however, won't allow you to.

9. kwspony

Bummer, thanks Tedster.

10. Tedster

not a prob. Still a 1.4 will be more than ample for average tasks. Don't expect to play newer games at high resolutions. I had an FX5500 card in my old Athlon at one time. It was a pretty decent rig until it got hit with a nasty surge from a lightening strike. The surge protector didn't protect it.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.