TechSpot

SoftKinetic releases free 3D gesture SDK, before Microsoft

By Emil
Feb 28, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Less than a week ago, Microsoft announced plans for a Kinect SDK sometime in Spring 2011. Today, Belgian 3D interface company SoftKinetic has launched version 2.8 of its own free SDK. It's not just for the Kinect, and it comes with the following features:

Read the whole story

2. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

That's pretty cool. MS should work with them(buy them out :p) to make one great product instead of two seperate ones.

3. mcmurphy12

mcmurphy12 TS Member Posts: 93

This is probably a dumb question, but how do you plug the Kinect into your computer? It does not fit into a USB port.

4. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TS Maniac Posts: 482   +8

You need the USB and AC adapter that is normally used to connect to older Xbox 360s that do not have a Kinect port (meaning one USB cable to computer and another to an outlet for power). I would assume Gamestop or the Microsoft online store would have these but I have not checked.

5. Johny47

Johny47 TS Rookie Posts: 157

Looking forward to seeing kinect on PC and hope it's cheaper than on 360, should be, the games are.

6. taimuraly

taimuraly TS Enthusiast Posts: 116

Why would anyone stand up (like in the video above) or sit upright (like in the other demo video) just to make their TV turn on or to change channels when the remote control can do so using minimum effort plus not requiring standing up. =)
    Jokes apart though would hope that the technology moves forward and is integrated for different applications.

7. nismo91

nismo91 TS Guru Posts: 1,004   +11

i have to agree with taimuraly. the obvious problem with this and kinect is that it requires you to stand up. not to mention you need to remove your existing furniture if it blocks the camera vision.

what i am thinking is that, probably MS should make hand gesture recognition in addition to its full body recognition. so that hand movement can be tracked even when sitting down on couch for example. imagine if you lift your right hand (e.g. student asking question) and the video in your PC/TV pauses, it would be awesome, at least for media center application.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.