software leak and reference error has created a nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had the worst computing experience of my life over the last month. It has taken me over 80 hours of work to try and resolve the issue but it still persists.

I am trying to resolve a problem that has occurred since setting up a wireless network.

I set up a wireless network between two dell desktops in my house. I bought one month ago a wireless router and a usb wireless adapter from linksys.

The two products are: Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router
Linksys WUSB54G Wireless-G USB Adapter

What a nightmare it has been.

After installing it, I came to realize that the software for the adapter has a memory leak and eats 8K per SECOND of my memory. I researched the problem and it is caused by the process running the adapter. Linksys forums offer NO solutions and many others have shown their frustration. While some have offered custom fixes, many still report problems.

One solution is to turn off the linksys network monitor software right after turning on the system but it STILL leaks a bit and is very annoying to turn off all the time.

I have since tried to set up a network using the Microsoft wireless network wizard but have had problems connecting. It will connect but says that is is aquiring the network address.

On a side note, I have had one other large problem related to hooking up my desktop to the internet. While shutting down windows, I get a memory reference error. I have spent hours researching this problem and I think it is related to the linksys process.

The error is in the linksys.exe process running. This is the same process that has the memory link.

I believe that if I can set up the internet using Microsoft and not linksys, I may solve all my problems.

I have reinstalled windows completely from scratch 2 times in the last 1.5 weeks to try and rid the reference problem. But if there is anti virus on, the error occurs with the process running from linksys. FRUSTRATING. I have used 3 different anti virus programs and still get this problem.

So, how can I transfer from the linksys software to the Microsoft network without problems. Anywhere can I get detailed help. I cannot continue to spend so much time on this worthless problem.

I have considered buying different hardware but linksys gets the best reviews. HELP!

"usb wireless"

this is u're problem, get rid of the USB and get a pci adapter and u're problems will disappear.

Hello,

Thank you for the response. Before I spend more money, I want to try and make this adapter work without using the Linksys software. I was able to install only the drivers for the device. But it says aquiring network when trying to connect using the microsoft wizard. No errors with this process off my computer now. Just need to connect. What settings do I need to change on the computer that is connected directly to the router? Help!

MS Windows XP Pro SP2 has network and wireless network problems already. SP3 was suppose to fix those problems. But now with Windows Vista out things might change as more people might go for the new OS and drop the most current version out there XP.

You're problem has been answered correctly by prior user

hello,

I was finally able to get my adapter to run without using the linksys software. I also read in a linksys forum that people using their pci cards had memory links so I figured buying that would not help one bit.

The computer runs just as well now with no errors and no memory leaks!

The only problem is that the internet only runs when the computer has been started up from having been off. If I restart, the internet will not work unless I then shut it completely off and then restart. Any opinions on this? If I never fix this problem I will be satisfied because it is such a huge improvement from what was happening. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back