TechSpot

Software questions.

By Nightowl
Jan 9, 2008
  1. I was wondering if you can run software that says win 98, ME on the xp platform?

Richard

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Yes

Right click on the program
    Select Properties
    Select Compatibilty tab
    Tick "Run this program in compatibility mode for: "
    Click on the arrow - and select Windows 98 / Windows ME

3. Nightowl

Nightowl TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 58

Will this also work if you download drivers that have the same parameters? I have an external cd/dvd drive that didn't come with any software. I did find a place that has the drivers, but was unsure if I should download it, because I had xp. Now the box says it can run on the xp platform, but the download only said win 98 and ME. I am at work right now, but I think it is a TDK 5201 UE. I have tried to get software for it, but so far unsuccessful at finding any, even on Ebay.

Richard

4. kimsland

5. Nightowl

Thank you very much. That ftp stuff, I never really understood, and trying to download it was a nightmare the few times I tried. I hear it is great if you know how to use it, but I just couldn't get the hang of it.

6. kimsland

I'm not following you, can you download from the FTP link above ?
    Some business Severs put a firewall lock on trying to do this.

Note: the FTP link is from TDK a world recognized respected company

7. Nightowl

I have it downloaded, but it is greek to me. I am going to see if I can get to their tech line. There are 4 different programs on the download, and I am not sure if I am suppose to open them all and put them on the computer.

8. Nightowl

Well, after all that, I thought what the heck. I plugged it in, and it started working. XP automatically recognized it. I can't explain it, but I didn't open any of the downloaded programs to install them from the web, so I guess problem solved? Its going to work out good I hope.

Richard

9. kimsland

Probably usb cable issue from drive to computer
    If it faults again, maybe check that first

10. Nightowl

I will do that. Thanks for your help. :wave:

Richard

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.