Solved: Computer doesn't recognize the network adapter

DjKraid

Here again since I have the most weird problem ever which I have never seen nor heard of before. I recently upgraded the OS on a friends computer, from Vista to 7. However now I can't seem to get the onboard ethernet adapter to work, it can't be seen in device manager nor anywhere else. I have tried to reset the bios (by removing the cmos battery) and I have also checked that the network adapter is set to 'Enabled'. Also, when I connect the cable to the ethernet port no lights go on, it doesn't give any sort of hope what so ever. The cable is ok, the "modem" is ok, and everything else seems to be in order and yet it doesn't work.

Computer in question:
HP Pavilion 6530sc
Non-default GPU and added 1Gb RAM

Whenever you install a new OS, always take note of the model of core system hardware like GPU, chipset, and ethernet/wifi (there are a few others that aren't as important, but nice to have updated) since those are critical to your computers core functionality.

However, a quick google search of your model yielded me with your PC's system specs. Your PC contains a Realtek RTL8201N ethernet adapter. So far I am unable to find a driver from Realtek itself and the HP driver is not Realtek, but instead nVidia nForce.

So after a bit of searching, I came across this: it seems to me that you have an old chipset from nVidia. I am not completely sure, but I think you have an ION chipset. Try installing this ION chipset driver (64 bit) ==OR== this ION chipset driver (32 bit) and tell me if it works. It should include the necessary component drivers and if it works, it means you have an ION chipset like I suspected.

Here are the specifications for your PC BTW.

I'll try...even tho Windows is doing it's endless updates at the moment so it will have to wait a while. However I'm unsure if this helps, even tho it's worth a shot :)
I'll keep posting if I fail or win :)

I'll try...even tho Windows is doing it's endless updates at the moment so it will have to wait a while. However I'm unsure if this helps, even tho it's worth a shot :)
I'll keep posting if I fail or win :)
Maybe Windows can provide you with a generic ethernet adapter driver if all else fails.

Well that's the problem, windows doesn't recognize it at all, as in it can only see the WLAN adapter.

Well that's the problem, windows doesn't recognize it at all, as in it can only see the WLAN adapter.
Well, lets go step by step. First try the solution I posted above (ION driver) and then we can proceed from there.

And no luck with that, the ethernet adapter can't be found... guess that a bios update would be in place.

However now I can't seem to get the onboard ethernet adapter to work,
and the one showing up is the WiFI adapter. *IF* you allow unsigned drivers, you might be able to get the NIC to be installed too :)

Still don't see how it could install drivers when it doesn't even know that there's some hardware there..? I'll try but I highly doubt that it would do any good.

Here we go, trying to install the Vista x64 driver as it is and also tried to run it in compatibility mode.
fail.JPG

I finally got a solution to the problem. The solution is simple, the computer is so old so that it's not worth wasting time on it. I just bought a PCI ethernet card for 5€ and it works like a charm.

Back