Some questions about upgrading/overclocking a notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beanbag

Hi, I have a laptop which is a more than a year old, and some games are getting choppy even though my laptop's specs don't seem too shabby. When I ran Company of Heros recently, my notebook nearly died; taking about 10 minutes to even load the tutorial seemed awful.

The question is, should I upgrade the parts (RAM, graphics card) of my notebook? Is it even possible to upgrade parts of a notebook like you do to a computer?

Or, should I attempt to overclock my laptop? Would it be too dangerous or risky...

These are the specs of my laptop.

Acer Aspire 5670

Intel Core Duo Processor T2300 1.66GHz 667MHz FSB 2 MB L2 Cache

ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 512 Hypermemory (but I think I saw 128 external VRAM somewhere)

100GB 5400rpm SATA HDD

1GB DDR2 RAM (dual channel)

Thanks for viewing and your posts are appreciated.

1. laptops generally are NOT recommended for games unless it is as gaming laptop.

2. overclocking a laptop is very foolish. Most laptops run hot as-is. Without adequate cooling, you will fry your components. It is extremely difficult if not impossible to add additional cooling capabilities to a laptop.

3. overclocking is discussed in the overclocking forum.

Okay, thanks for the info. However I'm going to have to use this laptop for quite some time, so I think I'd rather upgrade the parts.

What should I upgrade? I was thinking the RAM because modules are cheaper than Graphics cards.

on laptops sufficient ram is crucial. Not only will your system run faster, but it will run longer on batteries because the OS does not need to page swap and spin up the hard drive.

other than ram adding a faster hd and upgrading your cd/dvd drives are the only upgrades you can do.

So I can't do anything about my graphics card? It's a pity...

As for the RAM, I have seen different types on the Internet for sale, but some
1 GB modules (for example Corsair) have different types and prices, what makes the difference and what do you recommend?

Thanks for replying!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back