Someone made an assault rifle-carrying robot dog, and we're all doomed

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! We’ve seen the worrying progress of robots from comical pieces of human-shaped metal staggering around like a drunk to Terminator-esque machines doing parkour. But at least nobody has been stupid enough to arm one with a rifle—until now.

The James Bond villain-sounding SWORD International, which makes semi-automatic rifles, and Ghost Robotics have partnered on the killbot. The former added a Special Purpose Unmanned Rifle, or SPUR, to the latter’s Quadrupedal Unmanned Ground Vehicle, or Q-UGV. It bears a terrifying resemblance to the metal creatures seen in the War of the Worlds TV show and the murderous dog robots from Black Mirror episode Metalhead. And the one from Battlefield 2042, of course.

The Drive writes that the robot was debuted at the Association of the U.S. Army’s main annual convention in Washington, D.C., this week. The companies never revealed detailed specs, though we do know that the semi-autonomous robot packs a 6.5mm semi-automatic rifle capable of precision fire from about 4,000 feet. Ghost Robotics said it can remotely chamber the first round from an unloaded state and comes with safe, fire, and clear capabilities.

“The SWORD Defense Systems SPUR is the future of unmanned weapon systems, and that future is now,” reads the frankly terrifying details.

The Drive notes that the SWORD offers derivatives of the 5.56x45mm AR-15/M16 family, as well as similar but larger caliber guns. It also appears to use a suppressor in this case.

Ghost Robotics’ website describes its Q-UGV as “unstoppable, with the ability to get right back up from any slip, fall, or failure and keep moving using our proprietary blind-mode operation,” which sounds like the ideal thing to carry a rifle.

Given that semi-autonomous weaponized machines such as military drones have been around for years, a gun-toting robot dog was probably inevitable. Earlier this year, someone attached a paintball gun to Boston Dynamics’ spot, and we’ve seen people strap flamethrowers and pistols to their consumer drones.

Image credit: Felix Woessner

Permalink to story.

"Ghost Robotics’ website describes its Q-UGV as “unstoppable, with the ability to get right back up from any slip, fall, or failure and keep moving using our proprietary blind-mode operation,” which sounds like the ideal thing to carry a rifle."

Spot on sarcasm.
Seriously who thinks that having a blind mode (presumably working with some of the components malfunction by the context) is a good idea.

There needs to be laws fixing responsibility on the manufacturers if some innocent person is killed as the possibility of a screwup is baked in the product and marketed as a feature. The old adage that 'its a weapon so the responsibility lies with wielder' is not going to cut it with intelligent weapons. Maybe then they will start implementing cutoffs in case of component failures.

"Ghost Robotics’ website describes its Q-UGV as “unstoppable, with the ability to get right back up from any slip, fall, or failure and keep moving using our proprietary blind-mode operation,” which sounds like the ideal thing to carry a rifle."

Seriously who thinks that having a blind mode (presumably working with some of the components malfunction by the context) is a good idea.

The robot is able to continue whatever route it was programmed to follow, I don't see what the issue is with this. Autonomous weapons aren't new and it's not like you are seeing this thing in person at a school or a public space.

This is the beginning. Moronic human beings are behind this idea, as always.
More like human beings with 'profit at any cost' as their motive.
The robot is able to continue whatever route it was programmed to follow, I don't see what the issue is with this. Autonomous weapons aren't new and it's not like you are seeing this thing in person at a school or a public space.
I would not count on that. Our entire company had to endure 'Active Shooter' training before the covid lockdowns, and with what I got out of the training, such as when police enter the building looking for the shooter, literally anyone could be assumed to be the shooter and be shot, this thing will be used far sooner than we would like, and IMO, there will be times when it makes mistakes and shoots someone innocent.
Sadly, this is NOT why we are all doomed.
I agree. IMO, we are all doomed because stupid people with way more firepower than they need are in charge.

I have no problem with using this strictly under military operation OUTSIDE of CONUS and strictly prohibited for use by anyone other than the military.

I have no problem with using this strictly under military operation OUTSIDE of CONUS and strictly prohibited for use by anyone other than the military.
That is the problem, friend, that the morons (a.k.a. military) can use it.

For killing machines there are no chip shortages.

The fact that an armed robot shot its friendly soldier (standing next to it) in some earlier tests, didn't discourage the military from continuing down that path.

Just think, the "mark 2" version could be equipped with a high pressure aerosol sprayer, designed for the dispersal of such wonderful compounds as Ebola, anthrax, or even weaponized SARS.

Always thinking on my feet. (y) (Y) (Yes,I know, thank you).:rolleyes:

Back