Something is blocking downloads

By macx
Jan 7, 2009
  1. XP sp2, latest Firefox Yahoo version, had full AVG security suite (ran out yesterday) this happened before it ran out

First got the updated v10 of Flash - came in automatically.
    Then Flash downloads wouldn't open, so found out some folks are going back to v9.

Downloaded it, but it wouldn't install, got a window saying it wasn't a valid win32 app.
    And the icon on the download wasn't correct. The square white one with the blue top border. 0 kb in the download.

And I can't run chat on Yahoo.

Somebody suggested getting rid of the Yahoo version of Firefox, so tried downloading the regular version,
    same problems with the download - empty.

So started the 8 step process.
    Tried downloading the recommended av & malware, but something is blocking them.
    All I get is the square white screen icon with the blue top border and the download
    contains 0 kb - nothing gets downloaded.

I had HJT installed from before (v2.0 Beta), so about the only thing I could do was a HJT scan and
    to attach the log.

Sure appreciate any help - this is another new one for me.
  2. rf6647

rf6647 TS Maniac Posts: 829

Your are describing an exploit to frustrate reaching anti-malware sites. Here are methods that have been used recently. The alternative was offered by a new member.

1. Since you are discribing a case of difficulty. attempt this method (follow link for 'How To')
      • Use this method to stop any 'non-plug and play' driver that is named in this guide.
      • Please report its name for changes to the method

2. For infections that have more severe symptoms, Unable to run or update via TechSpot 8 Steps or manually run MBAM or SAS

3. Message #3 - link to 'fixit download' has demonstrated its effectiveness in many cases. Go to message # 3 'fixit download'. Part of the method renames the executable to get the application to run. Here is another member that used renaming.

4. Alternative - Web site has a link to download-dot-com - phonetic spelling used
      • There appears to be a connection with 'sagipsul' popups.
      • Read this post. from member.
      • phonetic spelling for web site
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.