Something is seriously wrong with my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanilla_rice

I've just formatted>re-installed xp on my desktop...

specs: abit ip35 m/b,2gig ddr2 ram,intel core 2 duo 2.66

basically im trying to figure out why my comp runs like this as i've tried to fix it myself countless times and i just end up loosing my temper with it...

Issues:

I opened my computer this morning only to find my 500gig hard-drive had only one file in it! which was basically a full hdd. A few moments later i tried it again.. and the files re-appeared although it was basically unresponsive in my computer and i couldnt load anything off the hdd.. also a brand new 250gig hdd i bought refused to format and eventually after about the 6 or 7th try, I managed to format, although when i tried to transfer files into this new hdd it would eventually hang and not work..

Thinking this was a bios issue (armed with little knowledge about setting the bios up) i basically selected the 2 options in there to "restore optimized defaults" and "load failsafe defaults" re-booted.. now windows loads up without keyboard or mouse (if at all) ..

Is it possible my bios settings are wrong or possibly even infected with something, any help is appreciated as this is an on-going problem.. thanks.

update: shortly after posting this i was looking in bios and after a while my keyboard just stopped working in there too..

Thanks kimsland, yes it is a pc.

I tried a diagnostic test with both "seatools" and the western digital equivilant on the 2 hdd that are not working properly.. that was when my keyboard and mouse "WERE" working..

Nothing came back as faulty at the time.. but the hard drives were running on different data cables and being that they were both new SATA cables, i doubting the problem is there

3 other things, at the moment the pc just hangs on the "abit motherboard loadup screen" and both keyboard and mouse are usb plugged straight into the back of the m/b..

if i get past that initial loadup phase just before xp starts up .. it hangs on a screen that says detecting drives, please wait.. also i never had any problems exploring the primary hdd with windows loaded on.. just these other 2 western digital 250 and 500gig hdd's

ok another update, went and bought a new motherboard today hoping that would solve it, gigabyte p43....

attempted to format one of my hard drives and re-install windows, system basically froze on 0% format and would not go any further..

So tried another hdd, surprise surprise freezes on the first boot screen everytime i tried it...

Im getting to the point of throwing this damn machine out the window, is it possible both hdd have failed? by the way im using a 630watt power supply so i doubt its power supply related..

Any technical guru's feel free to throw your thoughts my way, id be interested to hear them..
this is getting beyond a joke..

That's a good idea too (For ATA HardDrive confirm jumpered to CS; if it's Sata don't worry)

update: shortly after posting this i was looking in bios and after a while my keyboard just stopped working in there too..
Can you locate a PS2 keyboard
Unplug the USB one and try an older keyboard (this can be it, and likely is) I'd even unplug the USB mouse (use Tab; Alt and spacebar keys, or get a PS2 mouse)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back