Sone-age POST

By hewybo
May 21, 2006
  1. Recently replaced mobo in a friend's system. Installed an ASUS P4V8X-MX, which is the same one I installed on my Mom's. This one, however, takes 20 minutes (OK, but a LONG time) to complete the POST. Have the latest necessary BIOS update installed. Any ideas to speed it up? I'm stuck! :confused:
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Have you tried doing a Windows repair as per this thread HERE?

I`m assuming you used the same hard drive from the previous mobo. If that`s the case, the hard drive will still have the old chipset drivers for the old mobo and this could be causing the problem.

If a Windows repair doesn`t work, then you may have to consider doing a reformat and reinstall.

You should also check for any short circuits between the mobo and case.

Regards Howard :)
  3. hewybo

hewybo TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 435

No luck

Installed new hard drive, did clean Windows Home install, reinstalled chipset drivers, latest available BIOS, tried different, known good, RAM stick.

On POST, BIOS reads memory immediately, then 15-40 sec. pause, recognizes HDD, CD-ROM; 15-40 sec. pause, runs through the rest of the POST, then.........25-50 second pause before Windows screen shows up.

Everything works, but that is incredibly slow. Could the CMOS chip be faulty? the mobo has been installed only a month.

Thanks-- :blackeye: :hotbounce
  4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Ah, I see what you mean now.

It does sound like a faulty mobo. RMA it and try another one.

Regards Howard :)
  5. hewybo

hewybo TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 435

Guess so-

Yeah- hate to have her system down again, but Newegg ships quickly, so I guess that's the option.

As usual- Thanks, Howard! :wave:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.