Sony and Panasonic team up for 300 GB optical discs

By Scorpus
Jul 29, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Sony and Panasonic are teaming up to create the next step in data archival: optical discs with a storage capacity of at least 300 GB. The companies hope to achieve the milestone and have units available by the end of...

Read more
  2. For What purpose? SONY, Stop!!! now.
  3. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,837   +886

I can see commercial uses for this, especially with the 4K revolution. 4K movies take up a ton of space and in order to seel BluRay copies in 4K, they will need large capacities. This is a good move. I do not know what you are talking about guest.
  4. TheBigFatClown

TheBigFatClown TechSpot Booster Posts: 418   +139

You must need reading glasses. They explained the purpose in the article. "While the discs aren't so much important for media playback with the increasing push for streaming content, Sony and Panasonic are targeting professionals who need long-term, large capacity storage."

They are targeting me also, whether they know it or not. While I enjoy being connected to the internet 24/7... in the event I should not have access to the internet I always enjoy having all my data backed up on optical discs. I would love to be able to take a snapshot of my system hard disk drive every month and back it up to a reliable long-term storage medium. But in this day and age a 50GB optical platter just doesn't cut the mustard anymore.

As you were Sony. Full steam ahead.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,823   +1,434

Same here!! Except I prefer not to use dual layer, the extra expense is to great for me. That leaves me with only 25GB for optical backups. A 300GB optical solution would certainly be welcome here, that is once the price of the drive and media fall to at least where 25GB BD is now.
  6. penn919

penn919 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 153   +12

I don't see how this would be any more practical than backing up to an external HDD. Aren't they much more convenient as storage mediums anyways? I mean who wants to have to burn backups everyday/week when you can use a HDD in conjunction with backup software that can manage everything automatically? Optical backups are obsolete.
  7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,823   +1,434

Optical backups are not obsolete. Who said anything about everyday backups? Use optical backups for data that is not periodically updated.

HDD's and Flash Media still have one major con. Whether you want to admit it or not, they can fail anytime without warning. Just so you know, I do use HDD as backup and also use optical media as a third backup solution.
    misor likes this.
  8. misor

misor TechSpot Addict Posts: 994   +149

amen!.
    backups should be in as many modes as possible.
    cloud (if you trust this sytem)
    solid state disks
    hard disk drives (internal/external)
    flash drives
    cd/dvd/Blu-ray
    tape ( :) )

even the 'Batman' used a steel drum to record his exploits against 'Mr. Freeze', acknowledging that 'current' recording technologies didn't have long-term retrieval survivability.
  9. dcnc123

dcnc123 TechSpot Member Posts: 52

Great answer from Mr. cliffordcooley... +1 :D
  10. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,966   +728

If this were to become commercially available then I could finally retire my old tape drive backup system:D
  11. I back up all my data on punch cards, daily.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.