Sony pauses PlayStation VR2 production as excess inventory piles up

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Sony has reportedly paused production of its PlayStation VR2 virtual reality headset as unsold inventory continues to pile up. Last year, NAND flash makers found themselves in a similar situation. Their solution was to dial back production, and it seems to have worked. NAND flash industry revenue increased nearly 25 percent in Q4 following the changes. Will it work for Sony's VR headset, too?

The second-generation PlayStation VR launched in February 2023 to what seemed like a warm enough reception. Sony later said the PSVR 2 had outperformed the original during launch by eight percent, notching 600,000 unit sales in the first six weeks on the market.

Sony launched the PSVR 2 at a retail price of $549.99, which is where it continues to sit today. That's a lot for a console accessory – it's $100 more than the price of a new PlayStation 5 bundle, and $150 more than the digital edition PS5.

Sources familiar with the matter told Bloomberg that sales have steadily slowed since launch. Market intelligence firm IDC told the publication that shipments have declined each and every quarter since launch. Sources said Sony has made more than two million units to date, and that surpluses are present throughout the supply chain.

The high price of entry is no doubt hampering adoption, as is a lack of compelling games. No relief on the price point has been announced, but Sony last month did share some new VR content that's coming soon. The PlayStation maker is also working to make its flagship headset compatible with PC VR titles.

Modern virtual reality has been around for roughly a decade now. Although great strides have been made in terms of performance and capability, the tech still hasn't generated the sort of demand many thought it had the potential to. Apple's entry into the space with its Vision Pro is promising, but it is hamstrung by a far higher $3,499 price point.

Still, IDC analyst Francisco Jeronimo isn't ready to give up on the category. "We forecast the VR market to grow on average 31.5% per year between 2023 and 2028," he told Bloomberg.

Permalink to story.

I got the original PSVR when I bought the PS4Pro several years ago... loved it except...

It's difficult to use for more than 30-60 minutes... also lots of stuff to setup (the camera, cables, etc) that makes it almost an "event" to play with.

Now I generally only use it when my 5-year-old nephew comes to visit. If I ever get the PS5Pro, I almost certainly won't bother with getting the VR addon...

I have a quest 2, I feel that vr gaming is slowly dying. Low effort vr game releases, best vr games for pcvr are actually modded games like Skyrim,fallout,Alien Isolation. no more titles like half life Alyx unfortunately.
Developers probably decided it's not worth investing anymore, as you can see game sequels that had vr support no longer have it, like sons of the forest,Everspace2. There are some nice vr games here and there but that's it.

I have a quest 2, I feel that vr gaming is slowly dying. Low effort vr game releases, best vr games for pcvr are actually modded games like Skyrim,fallout,Alien Isolation. no more titles like half life Alyx unfortunately.
Developers probably decided it's not worth investing anymore, as you can see game sequels that had vr support no longer have it, like sons of the forest,Everspace2. There are some nice vr games here and there but that's it.
So it's following the 3d fad that some predicted but at a much higher upfront cost. Although I remember paying $600 for the 27 inch Asus 120hz 3d vision bundle more than a decade ago.
If engines can develop an ai that can make any/most game(s ) VR ready with minimal developer input then it might have a future imo.
For how much money and resources that is dumped into VR via crowd funding, Meta, PSVR Apple vision pro, Steam, HTC, etc etc this is shameful.

LMAO ..... inventory piling up is a very clear indication of being over priced. Cut the prices and the inventory will disappear, practically over night .....

Yeah not sure why they haven't cut the price by $100. It's a good piece of hardware that just needs the uptake to make Devs interested.

I like many others have a Quest 2 sat in the corner gathering dust.

initially, when you first don a VR headset it is mind blowing, as it is something completely new and un-experienced before.

However, much like the 3D TV's and the glasses worn, it soon because mundane, and 2D becomes relevant again.

Like someone else mentioned, there needs to be an uplift in games designed from the get-go for VR. Alyxx was one of these. Most other games, it seems to be a quick hack to get it to work on VR, but in reality the games need to be designed from the start for VR use. There are a lot of games for VR, but lack the polish and investment that a AAA title delivers.

Back