Sony president confirms plans to release PS5-exclusive titles on PC

DragonSlayer101

Staff
The big picture: Later today, Microsoft is expected to make the long-awaited announcement about releasing its Xbox and PC titles, like Hi-Fi Rush and Pentiment, on PlayStation 5. Sony this week also revealed similar plans, with the company's interim CEO announcing that several PlayStation-exclusive games will soon go "multiplatform."

Talking to reporters during Sony's Q3 2023 earnings call, Sony president and PlayStation chairman Hiroki Totoki revealed that the company is looking to boost its revenues by launching popular PlayStation titles on competing platforms. According to Totoki, the original purpose of creating exclusive titles was to make consoles popular, but given the current market trends, releasing them on multiple platforms can help game developers and publishers earn additional revenue.

As part of the plan, Totoki said that Sony will launch some of its exclusive PlayStation titles on rival platforms to reach more gamers. He further hinted that first-party games could now come to PC, but it remains unclear whether this could extend to Microsoft's Xbox and Nintendo Switch.

It is worth noting here that a number of PlayStation titles, like God of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Marvel's Spider-Man, Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves, The Last of Us, and Death Stranding, are already available on PC, while Helldivers 2 launched simultaneously on PC and PS5 earlier this month. In keeping with Sony's new strategy, Horizon Forbidden West is also expected to be available on Windows in the near future.

Totoki's latest announcement could mean that more such PlayStation titles could be released on PC going forward. It remains to be seen if the new strategy will hurt PS5 sales, but Sony expects that any loss will be offset by the large swathes of PC gamers picking up its first-party titles.

Meanwhile, Sony also confirmed that the company has no plans to release any "existing major franchise titles" before April 2025. This means that gamers shouldn't expect any sequels or spin-offs for existing franchises, but there's no word on whether Sony will still release brand new games over the next 14 months. That's good news, as it suggests that the rumored upcoming titles from Naughty Dog and Bluepoint Games could still be in the pipeline for next year.

Permalink to story.

"Later today, Microsoft is expected to make the long-awaited announcement about releasing its Xbox and PC titles, like Hi-Fi Rush and Pentiment, on PlayStation 5. Sony this week also revealed similar plans, with the company's interim CEO announcing that several PlayStation-exclusive games will soon go multiplatform."

I have always said this would never happen. Oops.

Pretty soon XBOX vs PlayStation may just come down to which one we think looks the best and maybe a few varying features.

What happened to all of that talk for so many years about PC gamers are pirates and they can't make a profit putting games on the PC because of pirates?

They finally realize the piece of the pie they've been missing out on?

What happened to all of that talk for so many years about PC gamers are pirates and they can't make a profit putting games on the PC because of pirates?

They finally realize the piece of the pie they've been missing out on?
they kinda reached the limit of the console market and can't do anything but expand outwards if they want to increase the revenue.

Keep them coming sony I have most of these games due to them having Ultrawide support out of the box.

And helldivers 2 is alot of fun.

Lets see if Sony still purposely waits a few years so they can double dip PC/PS5 gamers.

Simultaneous launches like Helldivers 2 (or under a year for the port) I would hope becomes the norm.

Heck, no walled gardens would be perfect.

I'm enjoying God Of War that I bought for $18 ( Updategamenis very stable and smooth at 4k 120hzax settings on my PC) . Probably going to try Uncharted next that I've seen as low as $20. It beats for overpaying for video streaming services imo.

Last edited:
Phil Spencer always said "profitability is not on console sales but on the actual games."...and he was right.

Sony was dead wrong to think the PS5 could perform as good as the PS4 did and now their prospects of bringing all their games to PC on Day 1 are far more likely.

Phil Spencer always said "profitability is not on console sales but on the actual games."...and he was right.

Sony was dead wrong to think the PS5 could perform as good as the PS4 did and now their prospects of bringing all their games to PC on Day 1 are far more likely.

I see no reason a hbm3 stacked ps5 cpu with 8-big cores and 8-C cores could not double the performance of a ps4

The issue is going from 1080p / 4k-lite to 8k progressive is more like 4-5x the performance cost

Are PS5's any good, last console I got was a PS4 a while back
All personal preference. It's a console. If you've had good experience with them in the past nothing has really changed outside of the fact that it's newer and runs newer hardware over the previous model.

I personally dislike playing games on consoles. I moved to strictly PC gaming back during the PS2 days. I hate the controllers for consoles, they're clunky. There's just something about the mouse/keyboard setup that works so much better for me. My daughter plays the Xbox X and she asked me if I ever played Doom when it came out and she showed me you can get it on the Xbox game pass....I figured I would dive a bit into my past and scratch that nostalgia itch with some Doom on the Xbox. Yeah, right. The controls are awful - can't simply strafe and move with one analog stick, you need to use both and the placing of the buttons for attacking and use felt very awkward. I gave up after about 3 minutes and went to play Doom 2 on the computer.

I see no reason a hbm3 stacked ps5 cpu with 8-big cores and 8-C cores could not double the performance of a ps4

The issue is going from 1080p / 4k-lite to 8k progressive is more like 4-5x the performance cost
Times has changed, economics have changed....more and more people have chosen a computer to game and Sony has already opened Pandora's box by releasing PlayStation games on PC so now the expectation even by the Sony boss is to be "more aggressive" in getting those ports on PC as soon as possible.

Microsoft understood that, and Sony is realizing that PlayStation games have to release on PC in the same day as the option to substantial profitability.

With game development being so expensive and time consuming, not to mention the risk involved, this is the only logical solution.

Games already don't scale well to the 8 cores the PS5 has, and the PS5 is handly beaten by 6-core PC CPUs (e.g. the Ryzen 5600 is about 30% faster than Zen 2 in games, and the Ryzen 7600 is more than twice as fast). What makes you think that even more cores would be any benefit to a console?

Also, why in the world would any console bother using expensive HBM, when they aren't even bandwidth-starved to begin with?

I've enjoyed Sony's PC ports so far - the good ones at least. Quality titles will sell well, so long as they invest the time to properly bring them over I'm sure they'll continue seeing encouraging returns.

I've enjoyed Sony's PC ports so far - the good ones at least. Quality titles will sell well, so long as they invest the time to properly bring them over I'm sure they'll continue seeing encouraging returns.
It's just a matter of time till Sony realizes that holding back on releasing all their games on PC is a lost of sales opportunities that they could be capitalizing on Day 1.

A momentous day. After 50 years of PC and console divergence the war is coming to an end.

PC won. PC actually won dammit.

All the PC only games, all the emulation, and eventually all the significant first party current gen console games. You build yourself a beastly PC and you get it all.

Last edited:
Gran Turismo 7 on PC ...thats the only game Im looking forward to see. but I really doubt it will ever come out of PS ecosystem.
The only PS game im interested on PC is Ghost of Tsushima. For some reason Sony has not brought it to PC.

Back