Sony Vaio VGN-A517B Won't Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am having a problem with my Sony Vaio VGN-A517B

What happens when i turn it on is the power/hdd/network lights come on at the front as usual and i hear a sound of the hdd spinning, After about 3-4 seconds there is a click and it turns off. It then goes into an infinite cycle of the above! It never reaches post boot up or the vaio logo. There is also a cd in the tray that i can't remove as power doesn't seem to get to the drive

I contacted Sony about it and they suggested removing the battery and power lead then pressing the power button for around 20 seconds to remove any residual static! I tried this but it still refuses to boot. Sony now want £142 before they will even diagnose the problem :S

I have not installed any extra hardware to the laptop!!

Any advise on what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

Sounds like the board has gone bad, or the PSU is faulty, either way its gonna need a visit to a repair shop to get it going.
Most CD units can be opened manually by inserting a small pin into the hole found on the front of the unit.

Remove the CD as per Ididmyc600 idea with a pin

If the HardDrive is noisy it just requires replacing, you may need you manual, but it's just a matter of replacing the faulty HardDrive, then re-installing Windows (and everything else!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back