Sony Vaio VGN-A517B Won't Boot

By bazzaTG
Sep 13, 2008
  1. Hello, I am having a problem with my Sony Vaio VGN-A517B

What happens when i turn it on is the power/hdd/network lights come on at the front as usual and i hear a sound of the hdd spinning, After about 3-4 seconds there is a click and it turns off. It then goes into an infinite cycle of the above! It never reaches post boot up or the vaio logo. There is also a cd in the tray that i can't remove as power doesn't seem to get to the drive

I contacted Sony about it and they suggested removing the battery and power lead then pressing the power button for around 20 seconds to remove any residual static! I tried this but it still refuses to boot. Sony now want £142 before they will even diagnose the problem :S

I have not installed any extra hardware to the laptop!!

Any advise on what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,415

Sounds like the board has gone bad, or the PSU is faulty, either way its gonna need a visit to a repair shop to get it going.
    Most CD units can be opened manually by inserting a small pin into the hole found on the front of the unit.
  3. bazzaTG

bazzaTG TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well i had that down as the worst case scenario :(

thanks for the reply and the tip!
  4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Remove the CD as per Ididmyc600 idea with a pin

If the HardDrive is noisy it just requires replacing, you may need you manual, but it's just a matter of replacing the faulty HardDrive, then re-installing Windows (and everything else!)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.