Sony Xperia Z2 earns highest smartphone camera score ever, dethrones Nokia 808 PureView

By Shawn Knight
Apr 9, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. There's a new king of the mountain in terms of smartphone cameras and it's not from Nokia. Sony's Xperia Z2 has managed to knock the Nokia 808 PureView from the top spot in DxOMark Mobile's rankings with a score of...

Read more
    misor likes this.
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,106   +1,376

This is great seeing phone cameras getting even better. I personally stopped caring about those ever since I bought iPhone 5, as I thought it reached the kind of level beyond which I didn't care anymore. And why should I, I'm not a professional photographer, and any such pro won't settle for a phone camera anyway.

This raises the question of whether people really care about phone cameras when buying a top smartphone today. Those seem to have become so good, it is no longer a concern to most buyers.

I'd love much more to see battery life improvements, while the phones continue to suck at this...
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  3. Isnt z2 a new phone ? and compared to a old phone ? try 1020 and then we can talk again.
  4. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,157   +195

this... :) if it's more of the same then it's better?
  5. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Maniac Posts: 475   +153

Ehm... following the source link, according to the chart... it supposedly beats the 1020. So no need to talk again with you.
  6. The Sony won because the rating is actually a combination of a few factors, including video. As a still camera the Z2 did very well, but not as well as the big Nokias. However, it strongly outperformed the Nokias in video. Thus, it wins.
  7. Well, the 1020 loses to its older brother according to the site :)
  8. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Evangelist Posts: 594   +50

According to them, the 1020 also loses to the iPhone 5s and Galaxy S4. So, yeah, I'm not taking their scores to mean anything.
  9. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

But even a pro would consider the best camera to be the one to hand when an photographic opportunity arises. So I am interested in getting a camera phone with decent lens and sensor.