Sony's 20th anniversary PlayStation 4 isn't selling for $20K on eBay

Shawn Knight

Staff member

sony playstation ebay ps4 playstation 4 limited edition 20th anniversary

Sony’s limited edition retro-themed PlayStation 4 went up for pre-order over the weekend. Considering the company only made 12,300 of these numbered collectors’ items, it should come as little surprise that there were far more buyers than Sony had inventory to cover.

It should also come as little surprise that several of these pre-orders have since popped up on eBay. And while the auctions are fetching their respective owners a nice profit over the $499.99 that Sony charged for the system, don’t be misled by some of the sensational headlines you might have seen that claim they're selling for $20K.

sony playstation ebay ps4 playstation 4 limited edition 20th anniversary

A quick check of sold listings on eBay reveals the average selling price of a 20th anniversary PS4 is anywhere between $1,500 and $2,000, give or take a few hundred bucks.

There is one auction that “sold” for $20,100 but if you look at the bid history, it’s pretty clear that trolls / scammers with zero feedback artificially raised the price. The same can be said for the auction that finished at $15,100 as well as the one that went for $10,600.

Hopefully those sellers aren’t foolish enough to fall for such an obvious scam.

Sony announced the limited edition console last week in celebration of the PlayStation’s 20th anniversary. The retro-themed PS4 is designed to look as much like the original as possible and for console collectors, this will almost certainly be a must-have item.

The limited edition systems are scheduled to ship on December 22.

Permalink to story.

$500 is still $300 too much for a console, any console as far as I'm concerned unless of course it's made from gold or some other precious metal.

All the 20th anniversary PS4 does is remind me of a time when games were actually interesting. When I see the PSOne, I think "games". When I see the PS4, I see the same thing I see when looking at a PC or XBOne, "products".

Haha, good joke. Ah, you're serious. Where is the people that was saying $1,500+ are only for bragging rights? This is the same bad hardware at $500 with aesthetic changes. Maybe in Japan it makes sense because PCs aren't the greatest deal over there; but outside of there you get nothing that improves your gaming experience at that price tag, compared to the reference model.

All the 20th anniversary PS4 does is remind me of a time when games were actually interesting. When I see the PSOne, I think "games". When I see the PS4, I see the same thing I see when looking at a PC or XBOne, "products".

You sir just hit the nail on the head. For me, the PSOne holds so many fond memories that I'll never forget. Like for many, it's my finest gaming generation. True, technically it's long been surpassed as a gaming machine but IMO nothing can match the pure anticipation of hearing that chime when it starts up. The gaming industry nowadays is so chock full of worthless sequels and mindless clones I yearn for a games industry 'crash' so all the consumerised bullc**p dies out and real games emerge once again. </rant>

Yeah, I hear that. remember when the ps1 came out? It had a few games that really set it apart. Anyone remember "jumping flash"? that was a cool game that as far as I know was unlike anything before. battle arena toshinden? hell yeah, anti aliasing sword fighting? ! it was beyond anything we had every seen.

now, I just got a ps4 for my boys and I just don't think it's the same. sure I'm a grown man now and most of us look back on things from our childhood though slightly rose colored glasses, but it really is just different. it was a time when the latest console had a huge power advantage over things like pc's. I guess some of it just comes down to that. pc's are damn powerful now and no amount of hardware/software streamlining inside a console that sells for a few hundred bucks and draws 100w or 200w is ever going to show me something special graphically. good thing graphics aren't the only thing I guess.

sort of like how my oldest son said to me after watching an ad for some blender on tv, "that thing can't have any motor on our blender cause we are basically at the electrical limit." that's right me' boy, but even then, there are other features that make one more desirable than another.

What would have been cooler is if Sony used the original Playstation chassis and replaced the innards with PS4 components. THAT would have been worth buying, not a gray PS4.

Back