TechSpot

Sorry i am posting this here.

By Drumsterr
Aug 10, 2007
  1. I read that the new thread link is locked, so i can't post anything for my computer problems. Hope this is good enough to be moved there.

I've been having problems with my programs lately. Yahoo Messenger, Control panel - Add or remove programs, verizon online protection will not open. Neither will disk defragment.

Wth is going on?

These are the messages that show up when i try to open each program.

Verizon Yahoo Messenger - Yahoo Messenger has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. This has been going on for two days now.

Add or remove programs - An exception occurred while trying to run C:\Windows\system 32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\appwiz.cpl

Verizon Online Protection - Dashboard Module has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I did a system restore, but it's still going on. If it's an adware, virus, or trojan, how can i remove it if i can't get into my virus protection program which is verizon protection??

As far as i know, these are the only programs not functioning.

thanks.

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Can you run Windows from a cold boot in repair mode? If so, that will fix it enough for you to take a closer look

3. Drumsterr

Drumsterr TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 18

To be honest, i have no idea what that is. After this incident, i ran windows in safeboot network, and every program worked fine. I went back to normal start-up, i still had the issue.

what is cold boot?

4. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,714

Could you tell us what your anti-virus package is?
    Also have you installed any new hardware or programs - or anything else that might have triggered this off?

5. Drumsterr

Drumsterr TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 18

I wouldnt exactly know what triggered it off, but i thing somehow i fixed it. I noticed that since i made a shortcut to turn off the laptop, instead of going to start - shutdown, that had seemed to cause my problem. I restarted my laptop to make sure and sure enough everything seemed fine. But i will see whhen i turn it off and turn it on again.

I run on verizon yahoo. they're my virus scanner.

6. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Thanks for the update. Please keep us informed about this saga.
    Get a different virus and spyware scanner, for best results.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.