Sound device not recognised!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Today I noticed that my sound device is not recognised in my control panel. I have all the drivers working and I have no yellow or red signs on my device manager. I searched a previous thread you had on this forum wich required for me to change a "machine.inf" file but when I tried to add new hardware it didn't give me any option to save information from disk.

My sound device was working properly until I had some problems installing a cd burner plug and play device. In the end I was able to recover and reinstall all the controllers that were missing, (even the audio ones) but in the end I can't get my sound device recognised.

I hope you can help me...I'm getting a little bit desperate here.

Cheers,
Balso

Its impossible to diagnose a problem with so little information!?!?!

What motherboard have you got? Is it a built in sound card? What version of windows are you using?
Have you tried installing a driver from the motherboard manufacturers website?

Hi Rik,

I have a windows xp and my sound card is a Realtek AC97. I have all my drivers installed and I tried to reinstall them but nothing works. On the sound devices control panel it says that I have no sound device. Everything else seems ok. I just can't understand...

balso

OK, we have some information to work with.

First off, uninstall the sound card, then reboot your pc. Just before it begins to boot xp press F8 which will show a boot gui. Select "safe mode", let it boot fully then look to see if there are any "left over" device drivers for your sound card in device manager. If there is, remove them then reboot. Finally, run the sound card install.

I still need to know what your motherboard is incase you need to check bios settings.

My motherboard is a SIS650 on a Phoenix Bios.

I foolowed your instructions, first I uninstalled the sound card and then rebooted and pressed F8. However I didn't receive any option for a safe mode reboot and the sound controllers just reinstalled themselves.

Thanks for helping me out.

I finnaly managed uninstall the realtek drivers and boot in safe mode. Windows still doesn't recognise my sound device and now I have some yellow interrogation points in other devices>audio controllers.

My motherboard is a Clevo M220S with a chipset SIS 650 and a southbridge SIS LPC bridge. I have a Phoenix BIOS version 4.06.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back