I have had lots of trouble getting my microphone to work. I have the same problem with different microphones. Basically I go to test it in windows or with the similar program that comes with soundmax and it won't work. Often I'll fiddle around with settings for a while and get it to eventually work. Now, I actually have a lot of trouble pinpointing the fix, because it seems to come with something I had already tried. Anyway I fixed it again today and the thing that made it work was ticking the box by 'front panel microphone' in the advanced options of the microphone in the record section. So that's fine it works. I come back a few hours later (literally) I haven't changed one thing in my sound settings anywhere and the microphone has decided not to work again. This happens every time I get the mic to work - I come back to use it again and it is broken again. So today I went to check 'front panel mic' is selected, TBH I can't remember whether it was or not. In any case that didn't fix it. So I'm back at square one. This is really very odd and in my eyes inexplicable. It's also driving me crazy. Thanks for your help. P.s. I've updated the driver several times to no avail. I've also updated the chipset driver (I understand that's somehow related to sound). EDIT: I've also had a slight problem with distortion with some music and in-game sounds. EDIT2: I should also state that the driver for the soundcard came with the mobo (ASUS - check my profile for exact type) and therefore I presume it's a 'built-in' soundcard. But I have no idea who made the soundcard or what type it is - I've just been installing the sound driver for my mobo on the ASUS support site. EDIT3: OK I just found a thread from a guy with the same make of mobo and the soundmax driver, he had a very similar problem. Somebody found the following fix: I FIXED IT!! The fix (if you haven't bought a new sound card) is to go to C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\ and run ATIrem.exe. This will remove all the soundmax files. Then put in the ASUS cd and run the "Add New Hardware Wizard". It'll find the sound controller and then you just have to reinstall it. Once it's reinstalled go to ctrl panel > sound devices > voice > volume and make sure mic is checked with the volume up. Then click properties, playback, and okay. Click file then advanced properties if it isn't already checked. Then click the advanced button under microphone and make sure mic2 select isn't checked. I checked it first, then unchecked it. VOILA, the mic SHOULD work... The thing is I do not have ATIrem.exe. So I'm stumped. Perhaps I have it but under a different name, no idea really. The only other things it could be are: Devsetup.exe and AEEnable.exe. But so far that hasn't done the trick. In fact trying to open them does nothing, one brings up a black box for a split second but that's it. Perhaps that was the case with ATIrem.exe but running them doesn't remove the soundmax files. *SIGH*!!!