SP2 caused crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

SP2 caused crash

A friend installed the SP2 patch for Windows XP and when it rebooted it only goes to the splash screen.

He can get a menu by using F8 as follows:
safe mode
safe mode with the network
safe mode command prompt
enable boot logging
enable VGA mode
last known good configuration
director services restore mode (Windows domain controller only)
debugging mode
disable automatic restart on systems failures

Using safe mode only gets back to the splash screen.
Last known good configuration doesn't do anything.

Can he use his Windows XP CD to repair problems or install over itself?

Can he use someone else's restore backup disk, he doesn't have one of his own?

What say you?

Does he hava an AMD64 cpu and a real magic dvd decoder card if so there is a known issue (constant reboot - crash)

I was having some issues with SP2 on the first load. What got me going was booting to safe mode, uninstalling SP2 from the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs......reboot.....back to safe mode......system restore back to about 2 days previous. My system's currently rock-solid. Maybe this will help in your friend's case.

Did you ever install SP2?

Used the XP CD and he's "up & running" again.

Not sure what to do w/ updates that were erased by the re-install and before he tried SP2.

Does he need to install "critical updates" to get up to date before he tries SP2 or will SP2 update him with only SP1 installed.

If I might butt in a moment.

For the techno wizards: I recently installed SP2 along with a spywareguide clean up so presumed my laptop would be throbbing in anticipation of me using it. However the thing has frozen on me. The start up is fine, I see all the icons on the desktop but can't get to files, internet, anything basically.

To be honest I don't know for sure whether it's the SP2 causing this though I suspect it is. Another thing was that the spyware clean up found about 5 viruses, so it is possible one eluded them and is presently munching through years of work.

Also, the day before it froze it refused to turn off so had to do manually.

Anyone help. Greatly appreciated.

Art

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back