sp2 corrupts my network

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i have 2pcs connected to each other with a cat5 cable,both running winxp pro.
PC A has internet connection sharing on and has a dsl connection trough a usb modem.
PC B i using the connection on pc A trough a gateway.
before i installed service pack 2 on pc A everytinhg was working fine,i could access files from both pcs,and could use the dsl connection on pc B without any problems at all.
Now after i have installed it pc A can see pc B but cant access it and pc B cant even access the workgroup with error message "MSHOME is not accessible...".
If i uninstall sp2 everytinhg works fine.

Anyway i want to use pc A with sp2 but i have no idea what to try next,i have tried many things for resolving the problem but nothing helped, besides just uninstalling sp2.

I presume you know that SP2 comes with a built-in Firewall?
Play around it with it and see if you can get it to allow the other pc onto the network, but if you can't get it to work you will have to turn off the Firewall. That's all I can think of for now.

I think you ight have to redo the network. I think some network files were changed with the installation of SP2.

Try that and see if it works.

It could also just be incompatibilty with Sp2 vs Sp1

i tried everything ,reconfiguring the network, installing updates, seting permissions, nothing worked.
is it possible that my network adapter is not compatible with sp2?
i have a sis900 based ethernet adapter

Porov said:
i tried everything ,reconfiguring the network, installing updates, seting permissions, nothing worked. is it possible that my network adapter is not compatible with sp2? i have a sis900 based ethernet adapter
Not very likely!
SP2 ships with MS FW enabled, all ports closed.
go to the FW, exceptions, and enable file/print sharing on ALL systems (AS).
ensure AS have the same workgroup

already did that,the exeptions are on and the firewall is disbaled aswell,i am starting more and more to think that this is a network adapter driver problem.
so what i did yesterday was to just uninstall sp2 and install it on pc b,so when i did that there was no problem(pc b is using different network adapter).so it is weird why if the sp2 is on pc A he network doesnt work and if it is on pc b it works.after that i tried to put the sp2 back on pc A again so that both pcs have it,immediatly after install my network stoped working.then i came to the idea that there might be a driver problem with the NIc.windows comes shiped with drivers for the sis900 but there was other sis installation package.so i tried to install it to make sure i have the latest drivers,but when i was intalling it i got a kernel_data_inpage_error blue screen,and this hapens each time i try to install that drivers.and anyway u know the sis900 integrated nic is quite old and slow,my other nic is a nvidia nforce netwoking adapter and has a maximum speed of 1 GBs and the sis900 has just maximum at 100 mbs.

make sure both adapters are set to auto or same speed
more likly on auto change to 100/full duplex

Brothers i made it.i went to the store and bought a crappy network card for 5 euros,installed it and everything was solved.i am with sp2 on pc a and b now without problems,eventually the problem was in the sis900 net card.Anyway thank u very much for trying to help

regards
Por Porov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back