Spacebar, backspace, and enter not working on inspiron 1100 keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite sure where to ask this, but I was wondering if someone might be able to help me with my problem. Last night the spacebar, backspace, and enter buttons stoped responding. Also, I can no longer scroll up and down on a page with the arrow buttons. Before this problem happend, I think I some how clicked on the Ctrl button and some screen came up about something but I don't quite remember what it was about. Also, the shaded box thing that appears behind something when you click on it kept moving up and down before I shut it down. This no longer happens but it may be linked to my current problem. I called the Dell Support but they told me there is a problem with my hardware and I can't understand how that could be since it was working fine just a short while ago and I didn't do anything to it. Nothing has been spilt on it and it hasn't been hit or anything. By the way, I am typing this with an on-screen keyboard which explains the spaces. Quite annoying. I hope someone can help me. Thanks.

SameProblemwithINSPIRON4000

AsYouCanSeeMySpacebar(asWellAsTheBackspaceAndEnterKeys)Don'tWork.AnyIdeaForASolution?I'mAlmostSureItIsNotMechanical.Greetings,PatrickFromBelgium

use a different keyboard, or use your keyboard on another computer. what happens then will clue you in on what's causing the problems.

Correct me if i am wrong but you are talking about an inspiron 1100 notebook?

quick google search showed this model to be a laptop computer.... if this is the case the easiest way to determine if it is hardware or software is to boot to your xp install cd...

go to the recovery console.. it loads a generic driver for keyboard..... can you type using your backspace/space.... if so your problem is with a corrupted driver. if not you may have a hardware problem...

Another possibility would be to go into your system bios. go to the time/date can you backspace/space there....

If not i would say almost 100% that your keyboard is hosed.

if you can get it to work in bois/recovery console try in safe mode..

Spacebar Backspace Enter Key Not Working

It's an INSPIRON 4000.

Weird! Today It's working! Since the problem occured a few days ago this has been the case : some time it works and than suddenly they stop working.
According to NAV I have no virus, I have WEBROOT SPYSWEEPER, yesterday I charged AdAware, removed a few cookies. I really think it is no hardware problem. But it is really strange that it is not permanent...

Another problem, maybe related : I can't see the countenance of my "Temporary Internet Files" folder, at least not all files. I can't even delete them, not through IE, nor directly by deleting them. It shows no objects, altough if I look to the properties of the folders it has a size of 600 MB, of which I would like to get rid of.

My newt answer may be without "spaces and enter"... :)

Correct me if i am wrong but you are talking about an inspiron 1100 notebook?

Today it's working, but it may stop any moment!! It's an INSPIRON 4000.

quick google search showed this model to be a laptop computer.... if this is the case the easiest way to determine if it is hardware or software is to boot to your xp install cd...

Should I find tghe same on the ME CD?

go to the recovery console.. it loads a generic driver for keyboard..... can you type using your backspace/space.... if so your problem is with a corrupted driver. if not you may have a hardware problem...

Another possibility would be to go into your system bios. go to the time/date can you backspace/space there....

If not i would say almost 100% that your keyboard is hosed.

if you can get it to work in bois/recovery console try in safe mode..

Will try that.

same problem on my inspiron 6000

I have the same problem with my inspiron 6000 - it comes and goes randomly - let me know if you found a way to fix the issue

This may be caused by a process running in the background

I was experiencing this problem earlier today.
My backspace tab enter space delete and escape keys were not working.

First thing I did was check my regional settings in control panel. I removed any languages I wasn't using (US-English was installed, but I only use Australian-English).

Next i killed some background processes that I didn't need.
For me these included (I suggest killing any that you dont absolutley need):
CLI.exe - ATI Dispplay Panel and Tray ICON
Steam.exe - For half-life 2 / counter-strike

I believe one of these processes was causing the problem. As soon as I killed these, correct functionality returned to my keys.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back