Specs I need, give me specs. Opinion Sollicitation for work PC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgower2

Which Intel P4 Processor and what storage options to use?

Hello everyone. I need to spec out a new testing PC for work, so I'm asking for some opinions. The role this thing will play is a VMware test machine. I will be creating VMware images to run application tests, break/fix, troubleshooting, etc. The operating systems on the images will likely be Server 2003 and XP. So I was thinking of 2 gigs memory, but that may be too conservative. The help I really need is with the CPU and storage. I obviously want a multi core/hyperthreaded CPU, but which one? Hot swapapble RAID would be nice, but what level, and do I need a stand-alone RAID controller or can I use the mobo's?

Thanks all, in advance.

The Xeon Line of CPU's usally do very well in a server like setup. Alot of the time you can get the dual CPU motherboards. If you perfer though maybe one of the new Intel Dual Cores will run well, although im not sure, most servers I know of run dual Xeon's.

As for storage, if you have the money, get SCSI contolers and RAID SCSI drives. They are alot quicker.

And 2GB of RAM seems fine.

Intel E6550

Intel E6550 will be better choice. Core 2 Duo E6550 (4MB L2 cache 2.33Ghz 1333MHz FSB) . good and value for money board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back