Sprint offers 99-cent netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

While I’ve seen some pretty cheap netbooks, especially those that are subsidized, nothing tops the current offer from Best Buy and Sprint. By committing to a two-year data plan contract, you can walk out of your local Best Buy with a Compaq-stamped HP Mini 110c in hand for less than your morning coffee.

There are no smoke and mirrors when it comes to the netbook’s specifications; it’s a pretty standard unit. It features a 10.1” 1024 x 576 display, Intel Atom N270, 1GB of RAM, a 160GB HDD and a three-cell battery. That said, the deal is just a tad less than inviting after you break out a calculator. By shelling out $60 per month for the data plan over the contract's duration, you’re looking at an accumulated expense of $1,440.

Despite that, I’m sure the deal is enticing to some. On the bright side, Sprint’s 3G service was recently labeled as the “most reliable” in a recent PC World test. How long before other carriers offer a cookie with their netbooks?

Permalink to story.

You can buy an HP Mini 110c for $400 these days. But no doubt they'll get plenty of buyers - people will see that .99 cents and ignore anything else.

Ya but think of it like this.... If your already thinking of getting a 3G data plan, why not get virtually free netbook as a nice bonus.

Make the netbook like a cell phone and I'll consider it just as useless. Glad I got mine before they make their way out of standard markets and all will require you to tie in a data plan just to get one. 3G may be nice and fun for people, but I still have no want, will, or care to join in on something that is entirely useless to me. Especially since they often cost twice the amount my home broadband does and only let you use one device.

Sprint has a MiFi card that can be used on their broadband serivce that supports up to 5 Wi-Fi enabled devices. You can share your high-speed connection with friends, family and co-workers.

Why would you pay $200 for a netbook and still have to pay $60 a month for internet access ?

No, I wouldnt, I got a netbook 7 months back. My needs arent high because everywhere I go has wifi at least. I think it depends on where you are and what's available, this is still a good deal, and a way to push it so netbooks become out "new books." I hope to see people walkin around with these things in 5 years like cell phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back