SQL Server Management Studio freeze

OscarZ

Hi Techspot staff,

I'm having so much trouble with this Microsoft application. This app has two ways for authenticating one of them is by using a domain account and the other is by using an SQL Server user.

As I choose SQL Server authentication SQL Server hangs for a lot of time even without entering user or password, I'm suspecting of something in any Windows service since I try the same conection to the same server from KingSoft Office (a Kind of MS Office) and it connects really fast. I had a look to the resource monitor and it is waiting for lsass.exe, and it is waiting for svchost.exe and it is waiting for some network resource.

The thing is that I'm not aware of what's happening with Windows when SQL Server hangs. Is there any way that you could help me to discover which could be the problem.

Thanks in advance!

Oscar.

Last edited:
You need to be the Admin and then plow through the SQL server logs

Thanks jobeard for your answer. I move to another network far away of my office and I can connect successful now. It gives me an idea that it could be a network problem at the office, the firewall is turned off as well as antivirus... So, I don't have any idea what is going on.

If there is no ideas about what's happen I think this thread could be closed.

Thanks anyway.

If you are working remotely, accessing the SQL Server at work,
then it really should be difficult to make the connection, aka the firewall SHOULD block you,
but the symptom should be a failed connection and that rather quickly (looking as if there is no server present).

Remote Admin work needs:
  • a VPN connection,
  • via a non-standard port,
  • specialize firewall settings,
  • and a non-standard password
If your company fails to implement ANY of those - - shame shame :(

Good advice! I will try to get all those recommendations implemented. I agree that it should be something related with network security, now I have to convince to the technical support guy about this :confused:

Thank you man!

Back