Standalone TV tuner brand suggestion

jaydeee

Hello!

Hopefully this is the right place to post it, forgive me if not. :(

Need your advice. Am planning to get an "Standalone TV Tuner" however I do not know a good brand for this...

I see Kworld brand in almost every store I checked.

Your comments and suggestions are highly appreciated.
Thanks a lot!

Tuners seem to draw out every ***** that buys one, can't figure it out, then tries to review it.
The 4 inch antenna that comes with it, won't pull in stations from 90 miles away.
That sort of nonsense. You need the same quality antenna that you would use on your TV for proper reception.

With that out of the way, the "Hauppage" brand seems to work well for me. (Although mine are internal). That said, their software is garbage, and the best way to deal with this is to use Windows Media Center, by installing the driver they, (Hauppage), make just for it.

I'm going to say, that I think that you really do need WMC to deal with any of these things properly.

KWorld received a huge quantity of negative reviews on their original dongle tuners, a couple of years back. I thought perhaps some of them were unfair, but it scared me off anyway. In hindsight, that may have been stupid, since with MIR, they were selling for as little as 20 bucks. Drill a hole in it if it doesn't work, and ya got yourself a real fancy key fob. With that said, KWorld still does seem to receive the lowest average number of "eggs" as a whole, at Newegg. Hauppage and Aver Media, receive the highest marks.

It seems that practically nobody's happy yet with KWorld dongles (maybe 1 or 2 people are); http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rue&Keywords=(keywords)&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

And many more people are happy with the Hauppage, (at twice the price); http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116034

That was a tough question, BTW

I have an outdoor tv antennae that I have had for around 20 years and purchased Zenith tv tuners when they gave the rebate for them for around $30. and they work fine.

Back