TechSpot

Standby makes my computer freeze

By Witchy
Oct 17, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am already used to not being able to make my computer go into hibernation, but since today it won't go into standby as well. When I hit the standby button, the computer freezes and I have to do a hard restart.
    I have no idea what suddenly changed. This morning I could still put the computer on standby. Please help?
  2. boeingfixer

boeingfixer TS Rookie Posts: 1,245

Give me all the info on your system. Do you have PATA hard drives or SATA, XP has a problem with SATA hard drives and not waking up from stand-by...also, I never understand why people put their computers in stand-by, can't you just leave it on and turn off the monitor??

Thanks.
  3. Witchy

Witchy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 25

Hi boeingfixer,
    I have SATA harddrives, 400 GB and 120 GB. Furthermore it is a AMD Athlon 64, 4000+, 2 GB memory, Geforce 7800 GTX.
    I thought it was better for the computer to put it in standby? Is that not true? I don't mind leaving it on, the monitor shuts off after 15 minutes.
  4. boeingfixer

5. Witchy

Witchy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 25

What I am curious about is: do you stay connected to the internet when you leave your computer running?
    BTW: I don't get error messages, I wish it were true, the computer freezes the moment I touch the standby button.
  6. boeingfixer

Yes I do, but I have the windows firewall enabled plus a second firewall and anti virus and spyware running at all times....
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.