Standby makes my computer freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Witchy

I am already used to not being able to make my computer go into hibernation, but since today it won't go into standby as well. When I hit the standby button, the computer freezes and I have to do a hard restart.
I have no idea what suddenly changed. This morning I could still put the computer on standby. Please help?

Give me all the info on your system. Do you have PATA hard drives or SATA, XP has a problem with SATA hard drives and not waking up from stand-by...also, I never understand why people put their computers in stand-by, can't you just leave it on and turn off the monitor??

Thanks.

Hi boeingfixer,
I have SATA harddrives, 400 GB and 120 GB. Furthermore it is a AMD Athlon 64, 4000+, 2 GB memory, Geforce 7800 GTX.
I thought it was better for the computer to put it in standby? Is that not true? I don't mind leaving it on, the monitor shuts off after 15 minutes.

What I am curious about is: do you stay connected to the internet when you leave your computer running?
BTW: I don't get error messages, I wish it were true, the computer freezes the moment I touch the standby button.

Yes I do, but I have the windows firewall enabled plus a second firewall and anti virus and spyware running at all times....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back