Standby mode randomly and on its own

Every once in a while, my computer randomly goes into standby mode. It could happen immediately after going from the log in screen to my desktop, or an hour after booting. Once my computer goes into standby mode and cannot be taken out. If I restart I can usually get back to the desk top.

My computer has been running strong for the past year, have had zero issues with hardware/software. I am somewhat savvy and I keep Windows clean and running smoothly with constant reformatting etc...

My power saving mode is set to high performance and my desktop should not be entering standby mode at any time unless I manually put it to sleep.

CPU temp 33degC-38degC

Does not seem to have anything to do with CPU/GPU/RAM stress, this will happen even if I'm just browsing the web.

Any suggestions? Is it hardware? Vid card? What do I need to replace? :/

Here's my specs:

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 955 35 °C
Deneb 45nm Technology
RAM
12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 533MHz (8-7-7-20)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A79XTD EVO (AM3)
Graphics
ATI Radeon HD 5670
Hard Drives
88GB OCZ-VERTEX2 3.5 ATA Device (IDE) 30 °C

Most often when we see this, it is a power supply issue. You described everything else, but not the power supply... The system you describe is a power-hungry unit.
It is not the power rating of the Power Supply, it is the quality.
There are a great number of other issues that can cause the problem, but most require some time on the bench with a good technician to track down the cost... whether a simple install change, or a part replacement.

Flux?

I recently installed a program called flux.exe, it is a shareware that auto-dimmed my monitors. I removed this program and re-installed the drivers for my video card. I have been running for about 2 hours with out an interruption, this may have been the fix!

We have seen a lot of troubles with that model of the Earthwatts... In fact, the ones I have in the shop have a refurbished sticker (meaning some component was repaired or reissued.).
Any chance you can borrow another power supply to test for the issues you have.?
But it appears you may have already resolved the problem.

Back