Standby Power Indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a question, I replace a psu in emachine. Before I replace the psu I notice the standby power wasn't lit up or on. So, after replacing with new psu I notice the stand by power was lit up and on. Even thought it's lit up bright green. The machine still won't power on. Could the mobo still be dead. The mobo is a D845GVSR. I know it's a stand-by power. After replacing the mobo, I saw the light lit up. I'm like OK hope you work now! Well it didn't. Any info let me know. Have a great day. Todd

Todd, when emachines PSUs blow they often take the motherboard with them, so if you replaced the original PSU because it blew you will probably need a new motherboard also.

What is the brand and model of your machine? Most power supplies work the other way... a failed component on the motherboard causes the power supply to fail. Most (99+%) power supplies to not take the motherboard with them... but it is true that eMachines, Packard Bell, PCChips, and some Compaq computers (and a few other low end units) take out both the motherboard and the power supply when they fail.
When this happens, give up and get a better machine, as the problem will usually occur again within 18 months.

This is a friends computer. It's an emachine T2684. I kinda thought the mobo was dead even after replacing the psu. It's just before I replace the psu, the green light didn't light up on the stand-by led. After replacing the psu, I notice the green light lit up on the stand-by power indicator. Well I though it might work. I have been reading all these forums If psu dies it takes the mobo with them also. Just trying to figure out why the green light lit up with new psu. I already told friend he might as well get another computer. What are best computers that use very good quality components. I already know emachine used low end parts. Everyone tells me Dell is great? I'm not sure. I've heard alot about dell also being bad. I have an HP a1710n. HP sure have a very great customer service and support. Thanks for your help. Todd

On that model of eMachine, the failing motherboard takes the power supply with it, not the other way around.
As for choices: Dell, HP, Gateway, Lenovo in the upper third of their model and price range will make you happy. Going for the low end can be very risky. Avoid all Compaq, and all computers in the lower third of their price ranges. It is impossible to make good and make cheap in the same computer and have the computer last two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back