Start button confirmed to make a comeback in Windows 8.1, sort of

Jos

Staff

We first heard rumors about a possible comeback of the Start menu button in Windows 8.1 last week, but now sources speaking to The Verge have confirmed that this will indeed be the case, only it’s probably not what most detractors were hoping for. The newly reintroduced button will reportedly sit on the traditional bottom left corner, and will look near-identical to the existing Windows flag used in the Charm bar, but clicking on it will simply bring up the tile-based Start screen rather than the old Start menu.

There are already several quick ways to get back to the Start screen from the desktop. Users can just press the Windows key on their keyboard, or hover their mouse over the lower left corner of the screen until a Start screen thumbnail shows, and then click. So while there’s nothing new here functionality-wise, Microsoft apparently hopes to appease at least some of the criticism by adding a shortcut users might be more familiarized with.

To be fair, you can already do everything the Start menu allowed with the redesigned Start screen -- searching, opening recent files, quickly launching apps, jumping to the control panel and so on. But those who have been criticizing the change have an issue with having to jump back and forth between Modern UI and the desktop to do these things.

Another noteworthy change expected to arrive with the upcoming “Blue” update is the addition of a boot to desktop option. So far only hints of this have appeared on internal builds, and there’s currently no toggle to enable it through the operating system’s UI, but Microsoft is apparently working on how to add this feature -- Windows Weekly’s Paul Thurrott believes it might be limited to Pro and Enterprise Windows 8 SKUs only.

Permalink to story.

Microsoft is just trying to get people used to the interface so they can get some of that sweet, sweet tablet market. People are using smartphones and tablets more than their PCs, so Microsoft just wants to make sure they won't be phased out in 3 to 4 years or so.

Microsoft apparently hopes to appease at least some of the criticism by adding a shortcut users might be more familiarized with.
They are lying to themselves!

If that is all the start button is going to do, they are wasting their time implementing it. Please don't tell me that is all they could come up with, to fight Windows 8 backlash.

Come on people! Do you really think this is anything more than a marketing tactic. Microsoft has perfected this strategy. They know people don't upgrade their Microsoft OS that often so they release an experimental/market test OS every other release or so. Do you really think Windows Me,Vista,and now 8 is a coincidence? They overstep what people are comfortable with on years when they know business/consumer equipment refresh is low.

I bet your thinking right now, "Hmm this windows 8 is too different, but ill surely get Windows 9 if they dial it back a little bit". Meanwhile you have now been exposed to MetroUI, so when they do tone it down in 9, it wont seem so new and "scary" to people. Windows 7 will start being outdated and/or no longer supported so you will almost have to upgrade. Windows 9 will be touted as a great success, and sales will skyrocket. They do this so that on the years businesses and consumers need new computers/OSs you don't start looking elsewhere. But you are still exposed to the future direction of the company.

Now keep in mind I'm not saying Microsoft is evil/bad. I personally like them. Its just smart business. No different from car companies releasing new models every 3-5 years. If they released new models every year they would be bankrupt in no time. Most people don't buy a new car every year or so.

Im still amazed that people are mad at Microsoft for Metro. Remember Vista? Windows 8 was not the OS designed for you. Get over it. Windows 9 will be out before you know it.

Microsoft is just trying to get people used to the interface so they can get some of that sweet, sweet tablet market. People are using smartphones and tablets more than their PCs, so Microsoft just wants to make sure they won't be phased out in 3 to 4 years or so.

Bullshit

I think this is a step in the right direction. I feel like they should give the user freedom. Give them the option to put back the classic start menu or use this. People are just mad at MS because of their lack of flexibility. I dont blame them, I just feel their strategy is off.

All I want is a solution to avoid hot corners while using mouse/keyboard. I like the start screen and other Win8 additions, but I really can't stand the hot corners. I made my own app that adds a start screen button and settings icon (in the notification area), but something official would be nice.

All I want is a solution to avoid hot corners while using mouse/keyboard. I like the start screen and other Win8 additions, but I really can't stand the hot corners. I made my own app that adds a start screen button and settings icon (in the notification area), but something official would be nice.
Good to see people who are frustrated to the point where they make their own app. If only MS sees that haha.

I was considering upgrading to Windows 8 if they put back the Start orb and the traditional Start Menu. This little stunt just makes me realize that I have made the right decision. Piss on you Microsoft. Looks like I'll be using Windows 7 for a bit longer, past Windows 8.1. I can wait as long as I have too. No hurry Microsoft. Keep futzing around while your ship continues to sink.

You don't have to hover your mouse in the corner and wait for the Start screen tile to appear before clicking. You can just go to the corner and click immediately, and it works the same. Waiting for the physical indication will just make the process unnecessarily longer.

You don't have to hover your mouse in the corner and wait for the Start screen tile to appear before clicking. You can just go to the corner and click immediately, and it works the same. Waiting for the physical indication will just make the process unnecessarily longer.

In my opinion the biggest issue is in any multi monitor setup. I know MS tried to make the hot corners work better, but they're just way too inconsistent and difficult to nab on side-by-side edges.

Come on people! Do you really think this is anything more than a marketing tactic. Microsoft has perfected this strategy. They know people don't upgrade their Microsoft OS that often so they release an experimental/market test OS every other release or so. Do you really think Windows Me,Vista,and now 8 is a coincidence? They overstep what people are comfortable with on years when they know business/consumer equipment refresh is low.

I bet your thinking right now, "Hmm this windows 8 is too different, but ill surely get Windows 9 if they dial it back a little bit". Meanwhile you have now been exposed to MetroUI, so when they do tone it down in 9, it wont seem so new and "scary" to people. Windows 7 will start being outdated and/or no longer supported so you will almost have to upgrade. Windows 9 will be touted as a great success, and sales will skyrocket. They do this so that on the years businesses and consumers need new computers/OSs you don't start looking elsewhere. But you are still exposed to the future direction of the company.

Now keep in mind I'm not saying Microsoft is evil/bad. I personally like them. Its just smart business. No different from car companies releasing new models every 3-5 years. If they released new models every year they would be bankrupt in no time. Most people don't buy a new car every year or so.

Im still amazed that people are mad at Microsoft for Metro. Remember Vista? Windows 8 was not the OS designed for you. Get over it. Windows 9 will be out before you know it.

Sorry, you're wrong on all counts. First of all, this is NOT smart business because 2013 would have been a bumper year for upgrades from XP if Windows 8 had been worth buying. That's what the enterprise was hoping for, as many within corporate IT have attested. Me and Vista are bogus comparisons - neither were the radical departure that Windows 8 is, and they weren't despised nearly as much, either (although Millennium came pretty close). Windows 7 gets the job done just fine and Microsoft ceases to support it at their own peril. What Microsoft will have to do if it doesn't want to be rendered obsolete is provide a "legacy" Windows 7 shell for the Windows 8 kernel. Another "XP mode" isn't going to cut it either for consumers or the enterprise. Meanwhile, "live tiles" and the rest of that rubbish will be relegated to phones and other electronic toys where it belongs.

Finally an intelligent reply.

Pretty hilarious. And people who still can't get used to swipe down-swipe up are pretty hilarious too. If you're struggling with Windows 8, you've got more considerable problems than an unfamiliar operating system to figure out. You've got an undeveloped intelligence quotient.

Microsoft apparently hopes to appease at least some of the criticism by adding a shortcut users might be more familiarized with.
They are lying to themselves!

If that is all the start button is going to do, they are wasting their time implementing it. Please don't tell me that is all they could come up with, to fight Windows 8 backlash.

I agree. W8 already has two UI's, and now their will be two start menu's. Yay.

Pretty hilarious. And people who still can't get used to swipe down-swipe up are pretty hilarious too. If you're struggling with Windows 8, you've got more considerable problems than an unfamiliar operating system to figure out. You've got an undeveloped intelligence quotient.

I can become acclimated to pretty much anything. But here's the deal with Windows 8. It makes me wanna puke. And my Windows 7 installation is still kicking *** and taking names. So why in the hell would want to "get used to" something if I don't have to?

I love it when people try defending Windows 8. The perfect bullet point for purchasing an upgrade to Windows 8.

"Think the interface sucks a rosy red titty? Hahaha, don't worry.....you'll get USED to it". Translation for those who can't see through the bullshit. "#DEALWITHIT".

I am dealing with it just fine. Dealing with it by dealing without it!

If this is really the kind of Start button MS brings with the update, they are the most stubborn business ever that will go against the entire market trying to prove their pathetic needly points while sitting on which with their a$$ bare.

It takes ballz to admit the mistake and correct it, that of which MS clearly has none.

If this is really the kind of Start button MS brings with the update, they are the most stubborn business ever that will go against the entire market trying to prove their pathetic needly points while sitting on which with their a$$ bare.

It takes ballz to admit the mistake and correct it, that of which MS clearly has none.
I like Windows 8 just fine without a start menu or button.

I like Windows 8 just fine without a start menu or button.
I probably could to, if it wasn't for insertinsulthere that took its place. Why is it so hard for you to understand we can live with both StartMenu and StartScreen, if only we had a insertprofanityhere choice?

I probably could to, if it wasn't for insertinsulthere that took its place. Why is it so hard for you to understand we can live with both StartMenu and StartScreen, if only we had a insertprofanityhere choice?

For the first placeholder - nothing really, it was there and now it ain't, so what do you call that - a black hole?

For the second one, the f. word is just fine, but MS is one of those matrix villains who used to say that choice is an illusion, 'cause that's what they are selling anyway.

So you are telling me the Start Screen that took the place of the Start Menu is not really there. I'm not that naive!!

We were talking about the button that vanished, right? Replaced with corner clicking, which I would call a catch-me-if-you-can approach to user interface. It is there somewhere, buried beneath all the prejudice against the classy-cool buttonix.

Back