TechSpot

Start Menu -> All Programs does not expand after WinXP repair

By rkscmhoh
Jan 18, 2005
  1. Hi TechSpots !!

Recently, I had to perform a WinXP Repair on my system due to an error : Security Accounts Manager initialization has failed. Error: The handle is invalid". The simplest solution to this is to get to the SAM file and replace it with a good SAM file from Windows\repair folder. The Windows Repair or Recovery console does not help , because both need authentication ( refer http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316751 )

I did find a way to get the to SAM file to replace it ( refer http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ ) and was able to repair existing Win XP, thereby rescuing my data. Thanks to helpful suggestions from "TechSpots" !

However , there are problems ! :( Now, in the Win XP theme, the Start - All Programs menu does not expand. Clicking on the Run link throws up a message box saying "Windows cannot create a shortcut here." and gives an option to create on the desktop. Creating such a shortcut on the desktop makes no difference. When I switch to Windows Classic theme, then clicking on the Start on the task bar does not do anything , the same with Help and Support link on the Start Menu !!

Any suggestions on getting over this one without having to do what Microsoft usually recommends "please reinstall clean" ?

2. frecksta

frecksta TS Rookie

Me too

Hi,

I have the same problem. Are you also missing the Desktop tab from the Desktop Properties window?

I have had a quick look in the Group Policy editor and it seemed OK. Have run Registry Mechanic and it was no help.

I actaully have it on 2 notebooks within the same company, one with XP SP1 the other with SP2.

Any resooution on this one yet???

Thanks

3. frecksta

frecksta TS Rookie

Found a fix

Hi,

I found by re-installing Windows XP from the CD but choose the option to repair the current installation rather than perform a new installation.

Hope this helps. :bounce:

4. rkscmhoh

rkscmhoh TS Rookie Topic Starter

I am glad for you

frecksta,

I am glad for you that you got a simple solution to this. Mircosoft is now really overdoing this SP2 and Software Distribution Services business.
    I have laptop that ran without issues for over a year on WinXP with SP2 !
    Until I switched on Automatic Updates.

My problem of SAM getting corrupted forced me to replace the SAM with a copy from the repair folder. I had to make a WinXP bootable CD using the
    Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) software. Only after that , I could run the Win XP repair.

To cut a long story short, I am back to WinXP with SP1 and will update my Win XP more methodically as and when I get time. It would be a good idea to have a WinXP boot CD perpared as instructed by http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ just in case luck runs out !

thanks.

5. mike8

mike8 TS Rookie

Hello, I have the same problem. When i am clicking on the Run link throws up a message box saying "Windows cannot create a shortcut here." and gives an option to create on the desktop.
    I do not want to re install windows or do a repair installation..
    Any ideas???

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.