Starting a new system and need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I am upgrading my current computer basically just getting new ram, mobo and cpu. I have heard flutters of trouble being had with the ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe and was wondering if anyone could give me anything some info if they know of any trouble with this mobo as its the one i am planning to get.

Also i was thinking of getting some GeIL DDR2 but my older bro has had some compatibility issues between GeIL ram and ASUS motherboards anyone know any issues between the above mobo and Geil PC2-4300 533MHz DDR2 Dual Channel Kit, 2x512M? or TWIN2X 1024-5400C4 DDR2 RAM Corsair (2X512MB)?

Cheers

Abigeus

Abigeus-
DDR2 will not work with an AMD CPU. A8N SLI Del. is a great mobo. Most of the problems encounetered with it were attributable to two things:
1. Early BIOS problems that were resolved long ago.
2. Bad PSU's. I would guess that 60%-70% of the problems I have seen with the A8N can be directly attributed to picking a PSU that just isn't up to the task. Get a really good PSU 450watts minimum, dual 12v rails with 18amps minimum on each rail and the correct plugs (24 pin, 6 pin video card plug(s) SATA) for a newer system.
3. Stupid builder mistakes. Take your time and do the research.

Good luck and don't hesitate to sing out if you run into problems.

Cheers

Thanks Merc

Found that out myself when i went to Corsair.com and did their compatability and relised it wasnt ddr 2... I am looking at getting a GF6600 graphics card any tips for a good manufacture like ASUS or the like? Also do you know of any problems between ASUS and GEil RAM????

Cheers,

Abigeus

Abigeus-
I'd recommend that you go with the A8N SLI Premium if you haven't purchased yet. $1 difference in cost and a more mature product with better features. Deil runs fine on the board and I would also recommend that you get a 6800GT if you can swing it. 2 x 6600GT's = 1 x 6800GT performance-wise. You can get 1 6800GT now and when need to improve performanceeplug the second in and really see a huge boost in graphics. getting a 2nd 6600GT will just get you to even if you see what I am saying here. The 6800GT has gone down in price since the 7800's came out and you can very easily O/C a GT to Ultra speeds. Basically the same card.

I just purchased the A8N SLI deluxe board (a newer version without the faulty chipset fan) and am EXTREMELY happy with it.

No problems at all putting everything together.

My only complaint is that the chipset fan is loud. If you are into quiet systems, then go for the premium board (as it has no fan on the chipset and is completely silent).

Merc.... a $1 difference? :giddy:

Newegg had the premium at $1 over the deluxe this weekend. Was helping a friend build a system and saw it. That's technology though. LOL.

Personally, I agree with you that the deluxe is a great board. I plan on using mine for at least 5 years it is that strong of a player. Most of the problems people had were noob issues that got blamed on the board and PSU's that couldn't hack it.

I wear headsets so noise is irrelevant to me. Did notice a little hum last night from the chipset fan so may do some surgery after work today (already have the replacement on hand). LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back