Starting up problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_big_dill

ok, my computer has been sitting for a while now unable to start up because of a problem i can not solve...

i have windows xp pro sp2 and to shorten the story i did a disk check on my main drive (c:/) and it asked to schedual for next time it starts up...

i restarted it, and it did the check...

fixed some problems in about 30-90mins...

then restarted again and sais its clean, gives me 9 dots and freezes forever.

i try to cancel it - gives me the 9 dots and freezes...

it wont let me start up in safe mode, i've tryed many things but nothing seems to work... i even checked my tempretures and my processor seems fine at 40 degrees calcius...

One thing is that my cpu fan is old and is now getting hard for it to turn and sometimes it doesnt even turn when i start the computer , so i turn it off manually spin the fan a bit until it loosens and then start it.

it works fine after i do that at aprox. 2700 RPM.

if anyone can help me avoid reinstalling my computer i would be glad!

OS is shot... (Needs to be re-installed with a fresh version)
CPU Fan not spinning that needs to be replaced..
If the unit is old how old is it?

Today you can get AMD 64-bit X2 Dual 2.6-.8GHz Core OEM with a good MSI MOBO for $150 or less depending on the current market prices. Case you can get those for $40 and up with 530Watt Powerline PSU. Memory for DDR2 is cheap. For almost $300 bucks you can have a new system if you do your homework and shop around. Otherwise shell more money into an old girl then..

thanks - im getting a new computer for like $2000 and i just wanted to fix up this computer, was wondering if there was a way of avoiding reinstalling the OS.

If there were bad sectors found via chkdsk your HDD may be on it's way to failure. I wouldn't trust the drive with anything too important. That said, try running a repair installation of Windows.

If you are just trying to avoid reinstallating because you have important data on the drive, either use a Linux LiveCD such as Knoppix to transfer the data to another storage device, or, attach that HDD to your new PC and browse/transfer the data via Windows Explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back