Static/Crackle noise in speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechTrainD

My speakers are making an extra crachkling/static noise. The problem is constant when the computer is trying to make sound including the start up windows sound, and other default windows noises like error msg chirops and beeps. The static goes away if no noise is being produced. I have a C-Media 6501 Like WDM sound card with up to date drivers it is integrated into my Asus AMD Athlon 64x2 Duel Core processor 5400+ with 2gb DDR Ram. The weird thing is that the static only occurs on the front right and front left of my 5.1 surround sound speaker set up and does not go away when I change between digital and analog modes or when I change between 2, 4, 6, or 8 channel set ups, also if I play music it can be heard "under/behind" the static noise at higher volumes thought the volume of the static is constant at all volume levels. I have switched which speakers are plugged in where, (i.e. switching the rear left and front left speakers to see if it changes) and the static does not change with the speaker, it’s the front left and front right no matter what speakers I have plugged into those positions. Also, I have noticed that my center speaker does not seem to make any noise at all, and that before this problem began to occur I would get similar static when I plugged in my Logitech webcam or other USB devices but would stop after I unplugged them and rebooted.

I am also baffled because to the best of my knowledge no hardware of software changes occurred. The sound was working fine, I left the computer alone and went to go do some chores, and when I came back, I had messed up sound.

Please give me any help you can, I’ve looked all over the net and can’t find a solution o similar case reported.

Also I tried muting the Mic and line in and CD-Player etc, no luck.

Hi and welcome to TechSpot,

Do you still get the static after taking off the USB peripherals?

Yes, I unplugged everything except the power cord, Keyboard and Mouse (both PS/2) and Monitor (DVI), and the speakers, and rebooted and the problem persists.

Thanks for posting so quickly by the way

I just noticed that the volume of the static does change as I change the volume on the speakers themselves, however, the static volume does not change as I manipulate the windows volume controls or the volume bars of various media players, (Winamp, VLC Player, and online Flash players)

Try taking off all case fans,and be careful with it.
earth yourself first by touching the back metal
part of your case before touching anything inside.

also check on anything motorized running around
ie: washing machines.

try to plug your speakers to another AC wall outlet
that is not congested with other AC equipments.

I plugged my speakers into a different wall plug and still get static. The only new item thats been introduced to the area around my computer since December is an xbox 360, but it had been here for 2-3 days before this problem occured, and a couple hours ago I took it off the surge protector that the computer, monitor and speakers were plugged into and plugged it directly into the wall, I also physically moved it 2-3ft away from my computer.

I haven't opened my desktop tower yet, simply because it would be difficult and I don't kno exactly what to look for though I do know to follow the cables from the audio jack to the motherboard and look for damage. I'll do that this evening if I haven't found any other solutions.

Thanks for your suggestions.

ok,just post back & let us know what ever you find in there.

also try re-seating those pin connectors from your front panel audio output.
please ensure nothing is bent.i just hope your dividing network is not damaged
inside your 5.1 surround speakers.

What kind of accidents or damage would cause a problem with a dividing network? I've never heard of it actually though from your description of how to check it I can assume what it does.

I have yet to open up my tower but I think I'm going to have to because I unplugged my speakers and plugged a pair of head phones into the auio jack on the back of my comp and it was all static. Is this a hardware problem or could a fulty codec or driver still be a possible culprit?

TechTrainD said:
What kind of accidents or damage would cause a problem with a dividing network? I've never heard of it actually though from your description of how to check it I can assume what it does.

Dividing network is some kind of Audio filter within your built-in amplifier
where your sound channel is coming from,ie Bass,Mid,High (example only).
The static is coming from your front channel only & I just thought that
A certain voltage is spiking instead of audio signal from a certain point
Withiin your front channel circuit (5.1 surround speakers).

But anyways,your speaker sytem is fine,since you tested your output with
A headphone & you still get that static.

Also try to un-install & re-install your sound driver.

And windows update can help too before un-install & re-install

I opened up my tower this afternoon to look in it after re-installing my sound drivers from the ASUS CD that came with the mother board (which didn't help) and checked the plug from the power unit to teh motherboard and sure enough it had come loose a little. I also moved some cables away from rear fan. On the exterior I unplugged everything, the surge protector, all the power cables, peripherals and all the speakers from the sub-woofer and re-set up all the cables and used a different wall socket for the surge protector. Some where in all that I fixed the proble. I think the main problem was the power supply connection to the mother board though.

Thank you all for helping me, your advise was very helpful and I learned some new things about how computers work (or don't) in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back