TechSpot

Steam Games Issue..

By JoeM076
Mar 10, 2007
  1. ...I realize that I have mentioned this problem several times before, but I did extensive research on the problem, and STILL have not found any solution. The problem I am having with my Steam games is that when I install and run ANY Steam game, the screen turns completely black in the game menu after about 15 seconds, (sometimes quicker), and a grey box for Counter-strike: Source, and beige-for Half-Life 2 games and Day of Defeat: Source, appears in the bottom-right hand corner of the screen. As you have probably heard from other people, I can still hear the sounds of the buttons as the mouse goes over the menus, and the game DOES NOT freeze, but just turns black with a box in the bottom-right hand corner. Again, I have tried every suggestion to fix this problem, but I have still not come upon a solution. If anyone knows how to fix this problem, please help a fellow Counter-Strike: Source player out.:)

2. JoeM076

JoeM076 Topic Starter

Oh and by the way, if you need to know the specifications of my computer, just check out my profile..:)

3. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

Have you tried different drivers? (I realize there aren't many for the 8800s..., but there are a few).

Also, is this in xp or vista?

4. JoeM076

JoeM076 Topic Starter

I have Windows XP Home Edition.
    -Also, everytime I go to another driver, it gives me a false error at startup
    -And, I've tried EVERYTHING on the Steam website, so I don't know what else I can do to fix this problem.
    -I guess I could TRY installing the latest driver for my graphics card again, and see what happens.

5. JoeM076

JoeM076 Topic Starter

I went to try to update my drivers, but evidentally, they are up-to-date. Soooooo I am unsure of what else can be causing the problem..
    Any suggestions would be great!:)

6. JoeM076

JoeM076 Topic Starter

Ok another update, I installed the Nvidia drivers from January 10th, 2007 that gave me the false error message in the first place, and it gave the same message when I started Windows. It also did not solve the problem with my Steam games, even after I reistalled Steam and its games. I am currently stumped and frustrated...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.