Steam Resolution Change and CS:S Blackout

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JoeM076

Hello.

Everytime I startup Steam, my resolution changes drastically from high to very low. I don't know if this is related, but I am also having problems with Counter-Strike: Source. Everytime I startup CS:S, the main menu goes completely black besides the bottom left corner which is grey. I can hear the menus when I move my cursor over them, but there is obviously something wrong with the video. I have been trying to find a solution for these problems for months, but so far I have been unsuccessful.

Please, if someone knows how to fix these problems, or even just one of them, feel free to post your suggestions. :)

- Computer Specifications(Graphical):

- GPU = Nvidia 8800GTX
- Driver Version = 7.15.11.6222
- OS = Windows Vista Home Premium
- Monitor = Viewsonic 19' VX922 2ms
- Resolution = 1280 x 1024(Normal)
- Resolution = 640 x 480(When I startup Steam)- The problem

- I recently uninstalled and installed my Nvidia Drivers as cleanly as possible thinking this might fix any video issues, but video problems with Vista still seem to arise.

- Also, no matter what resolution I am on, both of these problems occur, and when I immediately exit Steam, the resolution goes back to its original state again.

* This problem occurs for ALL Steam games. *

I fixed the Steam startup issue by going to the Steam folder in Program Files, then right clicking on the .exe Steam file and going to Properties. Then I went to the Compatibility tab and checked the box for it to run as administrator and unchecked it to startup in 640 x 480 resolution! - - I have no clue why that was one of the options!
- Now all I have to fix is the Counter-Strike: Source issue.

Very nice article, but my problem with my screen going black when running Steam games still persists. I have tried a billion and one things but I still cannot firgure out how to fix the problem. What I do know is that this problem began when I got my Nvidia 8800GTX. Before that CS:S ran fine.

I have Vista Ultimate and Steem - No problems with my ATI card except I had some flickering which was fixed with the latest driver release.

Do you have problems in other games or just in Steem games?

Have you tried the DirectX diagnostic tool (dxdiag from the run command)

wii-ste said:
I have Vista Ultimate and Steem - No problems with my ATI card except I had some flickering which was fixed with the latest driver release.

Do you have problems in other games or just in Steem games?

Have you tried the DirectX diagnostic tool (dxdiag from the run command)

Actually, when I run dxdiag it tells me that my DirectShow does not work. I have no clue what this does, nor do I know if this is relevant to the issue at hand.
- To answer your question: my Steam games are the only ones that blackout.

-Also, I have a Kilowatt PSU.

I would suggest trying to fix the DirectShow problem as if it isn't causing problems here, it probably will elsewhere.

Also, is this the release version of Vista you are using or the Beta version?

Edit:

Maybe reinstall DirectX 10

I am using the release version I guess. I bought it online. Also I have no clue where to start with the DirectShow issue, I don't know what DirectShow does!

DirectShow is, as far as I remember, responsible for drawing, animation and videos in DirectX. I am unsure as to weather reinstalling DirectX 10 will work but it can't hurt to try :)

When you go to Microsoft.com, they only display DirectX 9. Where can I download DirectX 10?

*****Another thing, I managed to change the resolution in-game and the problem still exists. *****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back