Steam's Winter Sale is now live: discounts, Steam Awards, and free stickers aplenty

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Steam’s Winter Sale event has arrived, bringing with it the usual deluge of discounts on titles old and new. It’s also an opportunity to discover what games have been nominated for the Steam Awards and vote for your favorites.

The Steam Winter Sale runs until January 5 at 10 AM PT. Being the company’s biggest sale of the year means plenty of bargains to be found. One of the highlighted deals is Deathloop, reduced by 50% to $29.99.

Those who don’t subscribe to PC Game Pass can grab Back 4 Blood with 40% off ($35.99) and get 10% off Forza Horizon 5 ($53.99). Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is down to $14.79, while Days Gone, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, and No Man’s Sky are all $29.99. And if you’re one of the few people who don’t already own it, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is just $7.99—make sure to add all the graphics mods for an amazing experience.

In addition to all the games on offer, the nominations for the Steam Awards have been revealed. Users can vote for their most-loved titles in ten categories, including Game of the Year, which consists of Valheim, New World, Resident Evil Village, Forza 5, and, in what marks a remarkable turnaround in fortunes, Cyberpunk 2077; it arrived too late last year to be considered for the 2020 Awards. This writer has a feeling Valheim will take the honors here.

As with previous sales, buyers get Steam points to spend on cosmetic items. There are also free mystery animated stickers given out each day of the sale.

Steam isn’t the only platform with a sale right now. The Epic Games Store’s event runs until January 6 and has some offers not available on its rival’s store, including Far Cry 6 for $38.99, and GOG is also holding a seasonal sale. Here’s hoping someone buys us a new SSD for a Christmas present.

Permalink to story.

Cyberpunk was NEVER going to work on the aged hardware of PS4 and Xbox. That game demanded no less than a 2080Ti, 32GB DDR4, an 8-core CPU and SSD storage to work to potential - or as intended.

Putting in on a HDD and old CPU/ GPU/RAM was like trying to run the Indy 500 in a llama.

I played it from release night - livestreamed it on Youtube - and beat it twice under Corpo and Streetkid.

I loved it.

I only recently uninstalled it when I installed Battlefield 2042.

I experienced very few glitches on my first play.

Some annoying glitches after the first round of patches.

No glitches I experienced were game-breaking.

It's a shame that they even bothered with the PS4/Xbox cause it would have been a great XBOX SX/ PS5 launch title and could have avoided the drama. In fact, I'd have put release dates for PC and next gen systems and pushed the PS4/Xbox release back a year (or more - who cares?).

The train system and police didn't work, but mostly everything else did.

CP2077 was a launch disaster
GTA Trilogy was a launch disaster
BF2042 is already dead
CoD Vanguard is worse then the previous one which is also worse than the one before (MW)
FH5 is FH4 with incremental updates on a different map, still ok I guess
New World kills GPUs.

2020/2021 was great for gaming!

As usual the steam sale is another exercise in mediocrity. If the game is on epic it’s almost certainly cheaper there. I remember the days when the steam sale would drain my wallet. These days I barely make

As usual the steam sale is another exercise in mediocrity. If the game is on epic it’s almost certainly cheaper there. I remember the days when the steam sale would drain my wallet. Those days are long gone. Valve really needs to pull its finger out, give us some better deals, maybe a subscription service and oh, make some dam games rather than just taking 30% of everyone else’s.

Back