Stop: 0x0000007e on Vista

ljastangs21

I already checked the site in the sticked thread (cant post links yet) but none of the listed issues helped my problem. Here is what is going on:

I turned my computer back on after about 3-4 months of no use at all. Everything was running fine and then at start up I got my usual Adobe Flash pop up telling me to install the new version. I always said no because I never really use Flash but this time I said why not I just got my computer back running might as well get everything up to date.

After about 5-10 minutes of running the computer shuts down and I get the BSOD. This is the first time I have ever seen the BSOD on this computer. I kept trying to start it up and got no where. I am almost certain is being caused my the new version of flash i installed. I want to get in to the computer to remove flash but I cant even get past the splash screen. Here is everything I have tried:

Safe mode: cant get in only get BSOD
Repair mode: it started to repair once or twice but eventually got BSOD
Repair CD: Starts to load and then BSOD

There has to be something else I can do!

The error code is this - Stop: 0x0000007e

This is a 32 bit vista duel core machine if that is any help

Thanks!

Ended up paying Microsoft $60 for a support chat. Chat is set to start in about 5 hours will update when its done.

0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.

Do you have any friends with tech knowledge? I suggest slaving your harddrive to another system and access your harddrive through that system. You'll be able to...

1. Check Event Viewer

2. Run a harddrive scan

3. Uninstall Adobe

Not exactly... would need a usb enclosure. Net result would be the same.
usb enclosures are not expensive.

Just got off the phone with Microsoft support. They actually charge $60 for this? Haha wow.

"Boot in safe mode". Doesnt work. "Boot in low res mode". Doesnt work. "Hm, well I am like a doctor and I can not work with no tools. Go buy a recovory CD." Oh thanks.

If they charge me for this im gonna flip.

It could be due to infection but my suspicion lies first with that Adobe update and a very close second is the harddrive itself.

Try this: Check your SATA cable connection to both harddrive and motherboard and make sure they are securely in place.

Okay ill do that. I really dont want to pay someone to slave my HD for me. Can you link me to step by step instructions on how to slave a HD and then scan that HD?

@ jk - Good point... often recommended by both Route44 and myself!
Other drive makers have similar kits, such as WD's lifeguard utility.

You'll have to burn the CD from another computer, like the one you're using now. Once it's made, you run it before Windows starts.

Ran the short test and the acoustic on the Seagate Diagnostic tool and found no errors. Running the Long test now but if that comes back fine should I rule the HD out as the problem?

Yes.

Also to run: a RAM test and a bootable malware test.

Use this guide for RAM: www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html

And I recommend F-Secure rescue CD, just because I have no experience with anything else.

http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/security/tools/rescue-cd/

Just ran the mem test and right now all I see is red. In the error box it is saying I have over 80,000 errors. I think I may have just found the problem. Do I need new RAM?

Yes new RAM is needed. Most memory makers have a limited lifetime warrenty. Just contact them and tell them of your Memtest results. They should give you instructions along with an RMA authorization number.

Fixed the problem. Took all my RAM out except the last stick and now I am able to get in. Will test all the sticks out tonight and replace the faulty one tomorrow. Thanks for all the help and thanks a bunch for the links J K.

Back