Stop Error - Windows XP Media Center Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I attempt to boot my system I end up with an error message on a blue screen. It reads as follows:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8732F820, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

Here's my system info:

System-Dell DXP051
BIOS Version - A05 (05/30/06)
Operating System - Windows XP Media Center Edition

I cannot get to any command prompts. I need help. Any information is greatly appreciated.

The error is a sign of a bad harddrive or corrupt filesystem. There are tools to repair that problem- you'll need a prompt off of a boot CD at minimum.

From http://www.updatexp.com/stop-messages.html

Stop 0x00000024 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

The Stop 0x24 message indicates that a problem occurred within Ntfs.sys, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. A similar Stop message, 0x23, exists for the file allocation table (FAT16 or FAT32) file systems.

Possible Resolutions:

* Malfunctioning SCSI and Advanced Technology Attachment (ATA) hardware or drivers can also adversely affect the system's ability to read and write to disk, causing errors. If using SCSI hard disks, check for cabling and termination problems between the SCSI controller and the disks. Periodically check Event Viewer for error messages related to SCSI or FASTFAT in the System log or Autochk in the Application log.
* Verify that the tools you use to continually monitor your system, such as virus scanners, backup programs, or disk defragmenters are compatible with Windows XP. Some disks and adapters come packaged with diagnostic software that you can use to run hardware tests.

To test hard disk or volume integrity

Method 1:
1. In the Run dialog box, in the Open box type:

cmd
2. Start the Chkdsk tool, which detects and attempts to resolve file system structural corruption. At the command prompt type:

chkdsk drive: /f

Method 2:
1. Double-click My Computer, and then select the hard disk you want to check.
2. On the File menu, click Properties.
3. Click the Tools tab.
4. In the Error-checking box, click Check Now.
5. In Check disk options, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box. You can also select the Automatically fix file system errors check box.

If the volume you are checking is in use, a message asks whether you want to delay disk error checking until the next time you restart your computer. After you restart, disk error checking runs and the volume chosen is not available to run other tasks during this process. If you cannot restart the computer due to the error, use safe mode or Recovery Console.

If you are not using the NTFS file system, and the system partition is formatted with the file allocation table (FAT16 or FAT32) file system, long file name (LFN) information can be lost if hard disk tools are started from an MS-DOS command prompt. A command prompt appears when using a startup floppy disk or when using the command prompt startup option on multiple boot systems that use FAT16 or FAT32 partitions with Microsoft® Windows® 95 OEM Service Release 2 (OSR2), Microsoft® Windows® 98, or Microsoft® Windows® Millennium Edition (Me) installed. Do not use tools meant for other operating systems on Windows XP partitions!
* Nonpaged pool memory might be depleted, which can cause the system to stop. You can resolve this situation by adding more RAM, which increases the quantity of nonpaged pool memory available to the kernel.

Microsoft KB articles:

Troubleshooting Stop 0x24 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM Error Messages
STOP 0x23 (or STOP 0x24) When restarting PC after installing PC-Magic Encrypted Magic Folders

Cannot get the command prompt

Thanks Goalie for the information. I have been all over the web and found the same information. The problem is I cannot get to a command prompt to run chkdsk. I have tried using the reinstallation DVD provided by Dell, but to no avail. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I am able to run system checks and have found no errors. I am currently testing the hard drive and expect everything will say it's okay. Once I restart though, I'll be back at the blue screen. I'm not quite a noob, but I'm not expert either. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks again.

Do you have any other windows XP or 2000 machines? If so you can hook the drive up in those machines (set your cable settings, of course) and use that to run a scandisk on the filesystem. Also, when you start the system, if you start tapping (f5 or f8, I forget which) you'll get the safe mode menu, one of those options should indicate command prompt- that may get you in.

Also, you can use a Windows 2000 disk to create a command prompt that's useable for you. It doesn't have to be the recovery disk- any disk will do.

Have you tried recovery or not at this point, just for our information?

No other machines.

I'm using a Sony Vaio with XP on it, but the machine is ancient and barely running itself. I'm not advanced enough to pull apart the laptop with any confidence. Unfortunately, my Dell computer did not come with a floppy disk drive.

While running the tests on the hard drive an error has popped up. The error reads:

Error Code 650F:0244.

Msg: Block 351081954: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

The given error code and message can be used by Dell Technical Support to help diagnose the problem.

Do you want to continue testing?

Yes No Retry

I am going to continue. Any clues?

Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt

Goalie said:
Do you have any other windows XP or 2000 machines? If so you can hook the drive up in those machines (set your cable settings, of course) and use that to run a scandisk on the filesystem. Also, when you start the system, if you start tapping (f5 or f8, I forget which) you'll get the safe mode menu, one of those options should indicate command prompt- that may get you in.

Also, you can use a Windows 2000 disk to create a command prompt that's useable for you. It doesn't have to be the recovery disk- any disk will do.

Have you tried recovery or not at this point, just for our information?

I have not tried to restore my system in a couple of months or so. I just got frustrated. I reviewed the entire thread here and attempted once again to load in the Safe Mode with Command Prompt only to get the same blue screen with the STOP: 0x00000024 error. Is there anything I can do with my limited resources before obtaining professional help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back