TechSpot

Stop Error - Windows XP Media Center Edition

By tctorres
Feb 12, 2007
  1. When I attempt to boot my system I end up with an error message on a blue screen. It reads as follows:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8732F820, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

Here's my system info:

System-Dell DXP051
    BIOS Version - A05 (05/30/06)
    Operating System - Windows XP Media Center Edition

I cannot get to any command prompts. I need help. Any information is greatly appreciated.

2. Goalie

Goalie TS Booster Posts: 616

The error is a sign of a bad harddrive or corrupt filesystem. There are tools to repair that problem- you'll need a prompt off of a boot CD at minimum.

From http://www.updatexp.com/stop-messages.html

3. tctorres

tctorres TS Rookie Topic Starter

Cannot get the command prompt

Thanks Goalie for the information. I have been all over the web and found the same information. The problem is I cannot get to a command prompt to run chkdsk. I have tried using the reinstallation DVD provided by Dell, but to no avail. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I am able to run system checks and have found no errors. I am currently testing the hard drive and expect everything will say it's okay. Once I restart though, I'll be back at the blue screen. I'm not quite a noob, but I'm not expert either. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks again.

4. Goalie

Goalie TS Booster Posts: 616

Do you have any other windows XP or 2000 machines? If so you can hook the drive up in those machines (set your cable settings, of course) and use that to run a scandisk on the filesystem. Also, when you start the system, if you start tapping (f5 or f8, I forget which) you'll get the safe mode menu, one of those options should indicate command prompt- that may get you in.

Also, you can use a Windows 2000 disk to create a command prompt that's useable for you. It doesn't have to be the recovery disk- any disk will do.

Have you tried recovery or not at this point, just for our information?

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

Also. If you have a floppy drive and some time, you can get the 6 XP boot floppies.

6. tctorres

No other machines.

I'm using a Sony Vaio with XP on it, but the machine is ancient and barely running itself. I'm not advanced enough to pull apart the laptop with any confidence. Unfortunately, my Dell computer did not come with a floppy disk drive.

While running the tests on the hard drive an error has popped up. The error reads:

Error Code 650F:0244.

Msg: Block 351081954: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

The given error code and message can be used by Dell Technical Support to help diagnose the problem.

Do you want to continue testing?

Yes No Retry

I am going to continue. Any clues?

7. tctorres

Recovery

I'm sorry. I tried to use the reinstallation DVD provided by Dell, but it doesn't even read the disk.

8. tctorres

Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt

I have not tried to restore my system in a couple of months or so. I just got frustrated. I reviewed the entire thread here and attempted once again to load in the Safe Mode with Command Prompt only to get the same blue screen with the STOP: 0x00000024 error. Is there anything I can do with my limited resources before obtaining professional help?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.