Strange V Sync causing microstutter/screen tearing in games

justinone

I7 3770K@4.5ghz
6950 crossfire
8 gig
windows 7 64

Hi all.

I have been having this very strange problem with vsync for sometime now and only recently discovered that it was something to do with v sync itself (I think).

This is what I recorded

Basically in some games (not all) I get what is shown in the video. Now the thing is I found while I was playing around is that if I disable v sync totally, this stuttering/tearing seems to go away by quite a lot. The fps goes to 90 (I think cod is fixed to that) and it smooths out a lot but its still a little jittery and not perfectly smooth. This is also the case with bad company 2.

I never had a problem with any game up until about 2 years ago when this started happening unexplainably.

Another strange thing about this is that it only seems to occour ONLINE. Single player has non of this at 60fps. If I use a 360 controller to move there is no stutter/tearing

I had the same issue with battlefield 3 but for some reason I cured it by limiting the fps to 59.95 and its smooth as butter. I have tried this with some of the other games but it does not work.

To add to the strangeness this also happends on a completely different PC I built a while back. And led me to believe it was an internet problem. I ran many tests all to come back clear, I even changed providers.

again as I say it only happends on some games not all.

games affected:

BF Bad company 2
All Call of Dutys
Crysis 2
and a few more.

games not affected:

counter srike global offensive
rising storm/red orchestra
war thunder
bf3 (with fps cap)

Things I have tried:

lots and lots of different drivers
Disabled crossfire
upgraded mobo, cpu and ram
tried 3 different monitors
tried taking my pc round a friends house (still happend)
switching from hdmi to vga to dvi
reformated windows

and the list goes on.

If anyone has any ideas about this, please let me know!

Back