Strange wifi situation

learninmypc

My HP desktop,& 2 laptops are about 40 feet from wifi router/modem on upper floor which means it goes thru floor & one door to get to me yet occasionally desktop looses connection, NOT laptop(s). At one time I tried a Belkin USB wifi dongle on desktop but no change, any ideas??

AFTER seeing this,
CAUTION:
Information stored by the BIOS Setup Utility is essential. Use caution when making changes in the BIOS. A mistake might cause the computer to not perform as expected.
I don't think I want to risk it.

If you don't want to take the risk to flash the UEFI, a mere reset might work. I know it says that it might cause the computer to become unstable if something is done wrong and it will. It might cause a need to reinstall the os altogether. But BIOS updates are put on the manufacturers website to keep up with vendors changing software, also firmware can become corrupt. Dropping connection is a common problem for network cards. Since you tried 2 of them the software that runs the card or the driver is probably not the issue and since the laptops have no problem the router is probably not the issue as well and given the fact that you are only 40 feet from the router signal strength and range should not be the issue. It is a very easy procedure to update firmware in spite of the warning. It's kind of like installing software or a driver for a piece of hardware and the computer will give you a warning and ask you if you want to proceed anyway, and if you still decide to do so you should of course back up all your data in case something goes wrong and the need to reinstall arises.

IF resetting the desktop to factory settings is the quickest & easiest, I have no problem doing that.

It is, however if the BIOS is corrupt, even that won't work. If you are unwilling to take the next step on your own and the machine is still under warranty, call the manufacturer's tech support and they will flash it and you will be covered for a replacement if something goes wrong.

Last edited:
I believe the desktop is out of warranty. What is the link for the BIOS updates are put on the manufacturers website?

Does the desktop experience a complete loss of Wi-Fi connection, or does the connection become weak or intermittent

Who is the desktop's manufacturer and what is the system type and os? Also, specs on the network card would be nice.

Desktop is an HP, Microsoft Windows Home 11, System type x64- based PC, network card?? Where do I find that?

Right click the windows start window, click device manager, expand the network adapter listing and it will give you a list of network adapters, The wireless listing will give you the manufacturer and card type, maybe intel if it is integrated on the motherboard.

Also, I could do something with the exact model number and serial number, but you may not want to give out the serial number being personal property.

Right click the widows start window, click computer management. Maximize the ensuing window and double click services and applications in the middle pane. Then double click services. A huge list will come up in the middle pane. Scroll the list all of the way to the bottom. Look for a listing WLAN autoconfig. Double click the listing. A popup will appear, make sure startup type in the middle of the popup window is set to automatic. I wouldn't hurt to toggle the start and stop switch either.

Back