Study suggests majority of Windows 8 users ignore Metro apps

Rick

Staff

Data collected by software-maker Soluto reveals that a majority of Windows 8 users mostly ignore Metro apps -- those self-contained, Modern UI-sporting, one-touch install applications found both in the Windows Store and come bundled with the OS. The Israeli-founded firm claims users open on average less than two apps per day, suggesting one of Windows 8's biggest features may not be for everyone. PCWorld takes a detailed look at the numbers and the actual report can be found on Soluto's website.

Soluto discovered about 60 percent of PC desktop and laptop users are actually opening Metro apps less than once per day. More surprisingly though, touch-enabled laptops and tablets don't improve that number by much: just over 44 percent of tablet owners forgo using apps just as often.

The company's data also indicates the overwhelming majority of Metro apps used in Windows 8 are Microsoft's -- mostly apps bundled with Windows 8 like Mail, Photos, Weather and Camera. IE10, interestingly, is missing from the results. Apps which have proven popular on other platforms (e.g. Netflix) are sparsely found on the list of top apps while others are simply missing; Facebook, for example, has yet to release an official Windows 8 app.

The informal study pools data from a mixed bag of nearly 11,000 Windows 8-based devices, but it should be mentioned that the results do not include Windows RT -- Microsoft's stripped-down, tablet-centric Windows 8 variant. This glaring omission rules out usage data from lower-end, touchscreen-only devices which would no doubt favor Metro apps; after all, traditional desktop apps don't run under RT. This fact coupled with IE10 Metro's absence from the results should give pause before taking the results too seriously. However, Saluto still manages to paint a believably bleak picture of Windows 8's app ecosystem.

Despite Soluto's omissions though, only about 200,000 devices out there are running Windows RT. This number makes Windows RT a relatively insignificant anomaly anyway, in the shadow of an enormous industry which ships 350+ million PCs and 250 million tablets annually.

Permalink to story.

Windows 8 & ...

1. Evolution

If+Microsoft+Windows+were+a+hammer_490b8d_3924408-600x400.jpg

2. Design

aol-windows-8.jpg

3. The lab work

549541_4145599332291_518727382_n.jpg

4. Releasing

monkeys.jpg

5. Presentation

389x298px-LL-990af83b_steve-ballmer-facepalm.jpeg

6. User Feedback

Win 8 with touch/swipe tiles is not for desktop or laptop! 5 button mouse works best. MSFT should improve graphics and basic apps. also hardware needs boost.screens and touch pads are poor! also MSFT pads are inferior to Macs. long live Win7!

Soluto is the same company that said that the macbook pro is the best windows laptop. I seriously don't trust them.

That actually was a legitimate statement made after legitimate experiments. The whole concept behind that statement was that it was just better because it was the only one with a clean install, completely free of bloatware and manufacturer customizations.

I agree that the Metro apps are probably largely ignored. I honestly tried for hours (on my non-touch screen laptop) to find just one that I could find useful, but all of them either didn't work how they should or had better alternatives on the desktop. I still love the Start screen though, and Windows 8 is the best Windows to date in my opinion. I just deleted everything except for the camera and Netflix Metro apps and treat the store like it doesn't exist.

The only reason I open apps is because of a mistake on my part when a picture/movie/pdf opens it without me setting the right software. (I'm lazy)
THE only apps that I've actually used are the Weather (2-3 a month) and the Camera apps (to test my laptop camera).

99% of the apps are useless on desktops and latops just because of how slow and featureless they are compared to normal software.

So the fact that Windows RT devices were not included in the study either

A) is an insignificant anomaly that does not deserve consideration and doesn't affect the outcome

or

B) keeps the study from being significant by omitting critical data

Pick a lane Rick. You can't have it both ways.

I have Windows 8 on a desktop computer and I use 2 Modern UI apps daily with 5 additional Modern UI apps that I use every 2-3 days.

I like windows 8, just not metro and I very very rarely ever use it. I added Start8 from Stardock software. Made the world of difference to win 8s useabiity.

Also plan to explore a touchpad as well to add some touch capability to my desktop.

They're trying to be too much like Apple, and almost wanna be Apple, when they were loved for just being Microsoft(I use "loved" loosely)

I only use metro when I boot my laptop. After that its desktop only. I do not use ANY metro apps...I like the desktop and to me its much easier to use. Why reinvent the wheel?>

I only use metro when I boot my laptop. After that its desktop only. I do not use ANY metro apps...I like the desktop and to me its much easier to use. Why reinvent the wheel?>

Same. The only time I do anything in Metro is when I noticed the store has updates for some of the default apps. Otherwise it's straight to desktop.

Occasionally I accidentally tap the Windows key and up pops the modern UI and I think "Oh yeah, I forgot that was there"....I have a quick look in the store to see if anything's worth downloading...realise there isn't and go back to what I was doing. Nuff said.

Btw, I use Start8 from Stardock.

There are two Metro apps that I use on a regular basis, Weather and Desktop.

Start8 makes Windows 8 a functional OS. Have yet to find any app that does anything nearly as useful as programs available for the desktop.

I don't get all of this talk about WIndows 8 not being "functional". It is literally the EXACT same, except the start menu now has it's own screen. It just makes it look cooler. Everything else is the same. Even kids and parents who barely know how to turn the computer on can figure it out.

Oh, and I forgot to add Minesweeper. That app actually isn't too bad if you want to kill a few minutes.

Back