Stupid what about a dog infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read this thread HERE and follow the instructions exactly. Post the requested log files once done.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of keemco5 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

I followed the instructions and there are two entries that won't go away:

483328 Aug 20 2003 "C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon05.exe"
483328 Aug 20 2003 "C:\WINDOWS\system32\bak\hphmon05.exe"
49152 Aug 20 2003 "C:\Program Files\HP\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\hphupd05.exe"
49152 Aug 20 2003 "C:\Program Files\HP\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\bak\hphupd05.exe"

Am I doing something wrong?

No, you`re not doing anything wrong and that sometimes happens as pointed out in the instructions.

Post the requested log files.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of keemco5 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

We`re going to manually delete those entries, after which, you may well need to reinstall your HP software.

Right click on this link DelO15Domains.inf and choose Save As. Save it to your desktop. Right click on that file and choose Install. It will run immediately (you won't be able to see anything happen). You may delete it afterwards. NOTE: This script will delete any sites you may have added to the Trusted Sites. So if you want them back, you have to add them back to the Trusted Sites again.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

hphmon05.exe

Close task manager.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or folders(if there).

C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon05.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\bak
C:\Program Files\HP\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\hphupd05.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\bak

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Run the FindAWF tool again and choose option1, post the resulting awf.txt.

Your awf.txt is now clean.

You`re running HJT from the wrong location and have not renamed it as per the instructions. See HERE.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE

O16 - DPF: {7FE26BE2-B923-4B41-9834-E84DA1CC1F96} (Maid Control) - http://vsp.closetmaid.com/vsp/cmaidctl_vsp.closetmaid.com_downloader.cab

O16 - DPF: {C4925E65-7A1E-11D2-8BB4-00A0C9CC72C3} (Virtools WebPlayer Class) - http://a532.g.akamai.net/f/532/6712/5m/virtools.download.akamai.com/6712/player/ install3.0/installer.exe

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT and reboot your computer.

Download combofix.exe. Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts. A window will open with a warning. Type "Y" (and Enter) to start the fix. When the scan completes it will open a text window. Please attach that log back here together with a fresh HJT log. Caution - do not touch your mouse/keyboard until the scan has completed. The scan will temporarily disable your desktop, and if interrupted may leave your desktop disabled. If this occurs, please reboot to restore the desktop.

Combofix will automatically save the log file to C:\combofix.txt

Post a fresh HJT log as well as the Combofix log.

Your HJT log is clean.

Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the code box below into it:
NOTE* make sure to only highlight and copy what is inside the quote box nothing out side of it.
Also ..

Pay particular attention to this :-

Make sure the word File:: is on the first line of the text file you save (no blank line above it, & no space in front of it)
Code:

File::
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Application Data\wklnhst.dat

Save this as CFScript.txt

Then drag the CFScript.txt into ComboFix.exe as you see in the screenshot below.

CFScript.gif

This will start ComboFix again. After reboot, (in case it asks to reboot), post the contents of Combofix.txt.

That`s now clean.

Delete the C:\qoobox folder.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE.

Now, turn system restore back on. This will have deleted all your old restore points and any nasties that are in them. It will also have created a new, clean restore point.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

I am at work for the day and will finish this up when I return home. Thank you for the prompt help.

All set. I had to uninstall and reinstall my AVG Free anti-virus tonight. Downloaded the install file and then disconnected from the internet, uninstalled the old and installed the new. I ran Combofix a couple of times and the fresh install of AVG found another Trojan lurking in the background. Quarantined it and all seems to be well. I'll be keeping a close eye on the puter's behaviour for awhile now. Thanks for your assistance, I was starting to panic. Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back