Stuttering/disappearing sound when playing some games or using winamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legoflamb

Hi there this isn't really for me - I Ient my girlfriend's old computer to a friend and he's been experiencing problems with sound.

When using winamp sometimes after a while the sound stops working. But winamp appears to not actually be playing songs. Like you'll click a song and equaliser bars go flat and don't measure sound like when a song is playing with the bass/treble or whatever going up an down with regards to what's happening in the song.

So it's not like the song is playing and no sound is coming out - the song is refusing to play. This problem is worse when playing pro evolution soccer on mute with winamp in the background.

He says when he's playing COD2 that the sound stutters and does it with increasing frequency and then eventually stops. This mostly happens when there's a lot happening on screen.

Restarting the whole machine seems to sort it out with regards to winamp but sometimes just restarting call of duty fixes the sound issues.

I remember having similar problems with operation flashpoint about 7 years ago but can't remember how I sorted it.

He has:

windows xp home SP2
p4 3.0ghz
onboard graphics
onboard sound

I told him it might be an overheating issue and to take the case off the computer and clean the dust out, could it be slightly more serious like the northbridge cooler gone bad?

Or is it a windows/driver problem?

I know there's not a lot of info here I'll have to have a proper tinker with it and get exact info on graphics, sound and directx etc..

Thanks in advance guys!

Well the onboard sound is actually controlled by the South Bridge chip I believe; from what it sounds like (no pun intended) the drivers could be out of date. Winamp is usually super-reliable so I would check which version he is running and maybe give that an update, which is free. Also, make sure DirectX is up to date and have him run dxdiag to run the sound tests. START > Run > type dxdiag in the bar...

Personally, I would just invest in a dedicated sound adapter. You can get a decent Creative card for around $30 now and the sound quality would be much better anyways.

Ok cheers guys - he doesn't have the net at his house so I'll get the stuff he needs probably head round tonight or tomorrow or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back