Sudden CPU spikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new here so hope I'm not breaking any forum rules while asking for help here. This my problem:

I'm pretty proud of my laptop as it runs smoothly as compared to most of my friends' computers. However recently my computer start having CPU spikes (where CPU starts working for no apparent reason) and thus cause "sticky mouse cursor" (cursor not moving smoothly).

The problem is much more obvious while I'm playing game online (Specifically, DotA) with my friends. While it ran smoothly in the past, it now has occasional lag spikes and even freezes when there are many items in one screen.

I've ran through Howard's "Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions", having done Steps 1 to 11 (I skipped step 10, the tools look intimidating), turns out clean so far.

Thus, please help check through the Hijackthis log and search for my problem, thanks.

I'm beginning to wonder whether it's the processor hardware problem.

Edit: The lag spikes sometimes come with sound distortion.

Often this is caused by too many different versions of Spyware, Antivirus ware, and RootKit removers... If you have several, check to see if some are in conflict with each other... or are running concurrently.

When the problem first started I had Symantec Anti-Virus (which I removed as I realise it's a CPU hog), Spybot - Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware SE Personal. I had no problems when I had these.

After the problem surfaced I tried to solve the problem myself, and thus I now have CCleaner, AVG Anti-Spyware, Avast! Antivirus, Spybot - Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware SE Personal, AVG Anti-Rootkit Free and MSConfigCleaner. The programmes did not made the matter worse - nor did they solve it either. So I guess this is not the cause...

Hi,

Have HijackThis fix the following:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Windows Internet Explorer provided by Yahoo!
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)

Apart from that, your log is clean. However, I do note your system has an awful lot of processes running, as well as ActiveX objects installed, which could be the cause of your system slow down.

May I suggest that you read this thread here on how to speed up your system.

Should you require further help feel free to post in this thread.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of feverinred only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Probably not related, but.
If your computer remains under warranty, do nothing until you check with their tech support.
When you begin putting it back together, you can have AVG or Avast or Symantec, but not more than one of them. Then AVG spyware and Rootkit are ok. SpyBot 1.4 and AdawareSE 1.6 will work with any of the above.
I would remove MSConfigCleaner and CCleaner, and install them only when needed, and never together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back