TechSpot

Sudden FPS drop during games

By twopint32oz
Nov 20, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello.

Another FPS drop problem here. Basically, whenever I play video games (LoL, TF2, Skyrim), there seems to be random FPS drops corresponding to spike in CPU usage. I can usually get about 50-60 FPS in games using moderate settings, but during the lag, FPS drops to 1-5 FPS.

I used perfmon.exe in Windows 7, and I found that the range of time that I experience FPS drop corresponded to spike in CPU usage (task manager was useless). Then I looked into whether my GPU is overheating during the times, which I found to be not true (temperature only increased by few degrees from normal use temp). The memory usage is definitely not the issue here since I recently upgraded to 8GB of ram (both 4GB sticks work fine as tested by memtest84).

Now I know that some program is causing the increase in CPU usage, but I dont know what is causing it. I thought it was firefox with pandora on, but closing firefox did not solve the problem. Could it be some sort of virus/malware? I know there are no anti-virus scans, defrag, etc going on during the lags.

Here are some specs of my laptop:
    Intel i7 Q720
    8GB RAM
    ATI mobility radeon HD 5730
    Windows 7 x64 SP1

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.