Sudden, Unpredictable Throughput Drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebaronjocelin

I was just playing a game of Team Fortress 2 last night, when suddenly (and I have no better way to describe this) my Internet connection slowed to a screeching halt. I'd like to be able to say that in a more technical way, but I've found it impossible to diagnose. Now, it's not universal. Certain servers in games have pings that are just jimdandy, and others are through the roof. Certain websites and webpages take minutes to load (on a 768 kbps connection).

Unusually, torrenting speeds have remained very steady (although low) all throughout the incident.

Most applications I use are superfluously portforwarded, anyways.

A quick scan with HijackThis reveals no overtly suspicious entries, AVG turns up zilch, and both Spybot S+D and Ad-Aware SE are both completely baffled.

I combed through the thirty processes I had running and not a one looked malicious or harmful to connection speed. I even went to the other computer that shares this router and shut it down so there was no way it could sap bandwidth.

Any ideas, mates?

Is this a once off error?

If so, I'd say your server had a 1 second issue, that caused your game to fault.

Also it's always wise to clean your system temp files, I use CCleaner (works well)

And, sometimes you should reset your modem / router , most leave them on forever; but a reset often helps (that's why they always say Have you tried resetting, bla bla bla)

Thanks, kim. That did the trick Now another issue. Postively loverly.

I have my computer running on a weak circuit that it shares with a space heater (ghetto!), and that same weak circuit is shared with my sodding kitchen, so if anybody uses more than two appliances the breaker... er, breaks, and has to be reset.

Unfortunately, this has wreaked all sorts of havoc on my computer, causing issues everywhere from disabling (permanently?) my onboard USB ports, to causing boot sector and MBR corruption, to wiping valuable system files.

This time, it has taken the choicest of courses - my onboard NIC no longer accepts the incoming connection. Despite the fact that the router shows connectivity, a balloon in my taskbar insists that "A network cable is unplugged". I have reinstalled my ethernet driver, and reset all network devices, to no avail.

Halp!

Reset you computer's BIOS (or cmos or setup) to defaults

You can get into CMOS from turning on your computer and watching for the Hit DEL (or F2 or whatever) to get in to this menu.
Just select Optimized defaults (wording may be different)

As a good measure it is wise to unplug all power (to your computer) and hold in the power button for 30 secs (releasing all internal voltage)
Replug the power cord back in, and startup fresh again

Also go to Device Manager (Control Panel - System - Hardware) and confirm you don't have any yellow querrie marks, ie all drivers are loaded properly. (you may need to visit your computers (or motherboards) home page to update all the drivers too.

I hope that helps.

No progress, but thanks for your help yet again, Kim.

Went in to BIOS, set to Fail-Safe Defaults (just to be doubly sure), then set my FSB clock back to it's overclocked 220MHz.

Will do a chkdsk tonight to make sure it's not a problem with kernel-layer stuff... I'm loathe to think it could be a hardware failure. Makes my insides turn.

One final option:
Reset the bios from the motherboard, refer to manual (for precautions and layout)
Usually it's a jumper that needs to be set and/or removing the cmos battery
(also discharge again, before touching the M/B)

You may also want to remove any dust build up, especially in the fans.

I released the extra voltage with the power button trick, and amazingly it pretty much cured my hard drive ailments. I don't know how, but thanks for the trick.

It's a custom machine, and it's pretty much dustless because I go into so often.

As for the internet... well, I don't know what exactly I (or you) did, - maybe it was the drivers, maybe it was the unloading of resident voltage, but I unseated and reasted everything and it works again - faster than ever. Thanks Kim!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back