Suddenly died - no power or motherboard response

Hi everyone,

I went to my PC this morning to discover it refused to turn on, and no response of any kind happening (no sounds, lights or fans operating).

My initial thoughts were that the PSU had died... so I went and picked up a new PSU, which didn't change anything. Still no response.

I'm now assuming the motherboard is faulty.

----

some factors that may or may not have anything to do with the cause of the problem:

- Dust - when I opened up the case there was a lot (almost a blanket) of dust in my zalman CPU fan, graphics card and also a little generally within the case. Although I hadn't experienced any artifacts suggesting stuff was overheating (plus it's damn cold in my house this time of year, so that probably helped)

- There was a powercut during the night - somehow this might have triggered what's caused the fault? I also had set my PC to sleep as per usual, instead of switching it off.

- The extra Front panel USB ports on the top of my case stopped working about 2 days before. I accidently tripped over a USB device plugged into it, and it twisted the port slightly, but still carried on working for the rest of the day, but at some point it stopped and I had to only use the back ports.

----

Is there any suggestions you guys have to find the cause of the problem?

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike. The power cut you mention is interesting. Did the fuse in your house trip? Are other items in the room working off the same plugs?..because thats happened to me before.

Oooh, dust will kill in the long run if it's not cleaned...

Hi Benny, thanks for your reply

The fuse did trip, everything else is working though, including all the monitors/speakers that share the same adapter. I tried out different plug sockets but the same result.

Yeah I mean there was a considerable amount of dust, but would that really cause it to just not switch on one day/

Nah maybe not....Dust kills, but slowly. You say it was in sleep when the power cut. I wouldn't really worry about that because i've done that before and things are ok. If you could test your Powerbox outside the pc, that would help (but not everyone has the tools for that, not even myself :) )

Maybe when you tripped over the usb cable and pulled the socket inside, it could have loosened the internal power switch wire (from the case front), and then come out maybe?....

Back