Suggest the best book about computer networks/networking

abbasi

Hi guys,

What book is your suggestion about computer networks/networking? I'm going to read the best book of that topic. I want to read one that is theoretical and also practical to prepare me to be able to go on real world's computer networks/networking.

Thanks.

I know nothing about that, but if I did want to learn, I'd start right here in TS by asking questions.
Sure, you can read a book on it, but what happens if you have a question? Are you going to contact the author?
Just my opinion. Good luck.:)

Thanks. Your opinion is mixed with a good suggestion and not a very good one else. Staring to learn a major topic -like one I mentioned- from websites and by asking question is completely wrong -with complete respect to your opinion.:) The best start is to learn from a good book (because of many reasons -which I can mention some of them), and then asking question on a good website -like techspot- can be useful. Thanks again.

Hey abbasi. I can't recommend any specific books since I learned a lot of what I know from online papers,pc mags,articles,and Q&A forums. Getting a good basic understanding from a book (or pc mags, etc, is a good idea in my opinion). I used to spend many late hours just reading the posted questions on the old Prodigy Bulletin Board which was before the current Web as we know it. Comparing the answers the people posted gave me a sense of weather it was correct or not depending on like answers. So much more updated info on the Web than in a book (depending on it's printed date,but a book is still valuable to get the basics and is a good change of pace from looking at a screen).

There's theory and then there's practice.

Somewhat like the subject of physics (which has some relatively simple mechanics [ f=ma ] as well as complex abstractions [ e=mc^2 ],
networking can be practical ethernet (with various uses like LAN layout & config), or more complex layers like UDP vs TCP vs Layer-2 programming, ....

Personally, I found it beneficial to have a problem to solve and then study the things that contribute to a solution. The teachers of Computer Science (or even more limited certificate programs on Networking) can consume countless hours on minutiae that only 1/1000 students will ever use just once. (but it makes for great tests and a means to produce grades :sigh:).

Some Ethernet concepts that will take you a long way might include:
  • OSI seven layers
  • Ethernet IPv4 addressing (skip IPv6 for now) which will help you understand the need & use of DHCP, DNS, Routers, Switches and Routing tables
  • IP, TCP, UDP
  • Need and use of Firewalls and where they are placed for most effectiveness.
  • Ethernet can only run about 70-75% of the rated bandwitdh (I'll let you discover why)
  • What is a PROTOCOL and how do they get used?
There are other network schemes, like Token Ring which has some advantages over Ethernet, but is limited to small clusters and can't be applied to the Internet.

Of course, if you desire to pull cables in the back room and crimp connectors all of the above is totally unnecessary and you need references for pin-outs and info on mapping a physical network.

I've learned a lot over the passed 6 years as a TS member but I spend a lot of time at Barnes and Noble, they all know me there. Take a note pad, do some reading. Buy a book if it really interest you and bring home any questions you might have on your notepad. Or go pay a University!

Hey abbasi. I can't recommend any specific books since I learned a lot of what I know from online papers,pc mags,articles,and Q&A forums. Getting a good basic understanding from a book (or pc mags, etc, is a good idea in my opinion). I used to spend many late hours just reading the posted questions on the old Prodigy Bulletin Board which was before the current Web as we know it. Comparing the answers the people posted gave me a sense of weather it was correct or not depending on like answers. So much more updated info on the Web than in a book (depending on it's printed date,but a book is still valuable to get the basics and is a good change of pace from looking at a screen).

I don't know what to say in reply for you but I know I should thank you for giving me your opinion. Stating & learning that very important subject from the web at least has two disadvantages:
1- It's not complete.
2- It's a risk.

Somewhat like the subject of physics (which has some relatively simple mechanics [ f=ma ] as well as complex abstractions [ e=mc^2 ],
networking can be practical ethernet (with various uses like LAN layout & config), or more complex layers like UDP vs TCP vs Layer-2 programming, ....

Personally, I found it beneficial to have a problem to solve and then study the things that contribute to a solution. The teachers of Computer Science (or even more limited certificate programs on Networking) can consume countless hours on minutiae that only 1/1000 students will ever use just once. (but it makes for great tests and a means to produce grades :sigh:).

• OSI seven layers
  • Ethernet IPv4 addressing (skip IPv6 for now) which will help you understand the need & use of DHCP, DNS, Routers, Switches and Routing tables
  • IP, TCP, UDP
  • Ethernet can only run about 70-75% of the rated bandwitdh (I'll let you discover why)
There are other network schemes, like Token Ring which has some advantages over Ethernet, but is limited to small clusters and can't be applied to the Internet.

Of course, if you desire to pull cables in the back room and crimp connectors all of the above is totally unnecessary and you need references for pin-outs and info on mapping a physical network.

I want to be an expert on Computer Networks area. This is an prerequisite for other thing. I know this area is very complex but it's not problem. I restate my goal of posting this issue here, What I'm looking for is a very good (best) practical book, only.:)Thanks.

• OSI seven layers
  • IP, TCP, UDP

I want to be an expert on Computer Networks area. This is an prerequisite for other thing. I know this area is very complex but it's not problem. I restate my goal of posting this issue here, What I'm looking for is a very good (best) practical book, only.:)Thanks.

Hi Mr. Abbasi
It's a pleasure to answer you here.
for Study Computer Networks/Networking I recommend you these books :

1 For practical and theorical learning >
CompTIA Network+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, 5th Edition

this have been very helpfull for me.
2 for learning conceptual and fundamental Computer Networks >
Computer Networks (5th Edition

and another source for learn basics is(in Persian language) :
اصول مهندسی اینترنت :احسان ملکیان

Hamid: I have the second one. anyway, you also like other members of this forum tried to guide me and of course it's appreciated. thanks:).

Back